SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-07-05, 01:15 PM   #1
warden1974

Default Am I doing the right thing?

Hi guys just want some advice really. I have never owned or rided a bike (been pillion a couple of times) but have always wanted to and finally decided that I will do it this year. Am looking to do my direct access for my 31st this October and then get myself a bike from there. For reasons that have been alluded to in another post I want an SV650S (if possible a very specific one) but am I aiming my sites too high for a first bike.. will it be too powerful etc?

Any thoughts?
Old 27-07-05, 01:19 PM   #2
Amanda M

There are a lot of people on here that have bought SVs as their first bikes and they get on with them fine. Just remember the throttle works both ways, relax and enjoy yourself Good luck!
Old 27-07-05, 01:21 PM   #3
Flamin_Squirrel

For a large proportion of people on this site, the SV was/is their first big bike and I think I can safely say that noone regreted getting one
Old 27-07-05, 01:21 PM   #4
Ping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda M
There are a lot of people on here that have bought SVs as their first bikes and they get on with them fine. Just remember the throttle works both ways, relax and enjoy yourself Good luck!
*waves* 5'4 girlie here, sv650s (curvy) first ever bike.

You'll be fine.
Old 27-07-05, 01:22 PM   #5
warden1974

Thanks, makes me feel better about the idea. It means a lot to me to get an SV650S. Sorry guys but you may have to put up with some nugget posts for a while.

Old 27-07-05, 01:25 PM   #6
El Saxo

I was worried about this too at first, but since I've got the SV (which is my first bike) I've found it pretty user-friendly.

To be fair I've no room for comparison having never ridden say, a sport 600 before.

I've seen this question before on here and the same reply seems to keep coming up - try before you buy. If it turns out you don't feel comfortable on the SV, you can always get something smaller for a while and move up when you feel a bit more confident.

Not sure if this is strictly BASAT compliant given my amount of riding experience, but I figure it's just common sense...

HTH
Old 27-07-05, 01:33 PM   #7
rwoodcock01

Hi there,

I went from a 125 to a K5 SV650s. She is my first big bike and I love her, she has been very forgiving and has been so faithful to me so far.

Great choice of bike and good luck for your Direct access!

Rich
Old 27-07-05, 01:36 PM   #8
jenni

Hi, welcome to the forum,

I haven't got an sv yet but i want one!!

It will be my first big bike. yes I am worried i might drop it etc but at the moment think "well i won't know until i try!!!"

Think i am going to the dealers on sat
Old 27-07-05, 01:39 PM   #9
warden1974

My main worry is that I havent ridden at all. Will just see how it goes. Please read my other thread and keep an eye out for (found it now) I really want to find that bike.
Old 27-07-05, 01:41 PM   #10
creamerybutter

The jump from the 500 you will do you Direct Access on to the SV650 isn't that big. I weant from a SR125 to a (restricted) GPz500s and I had no problems and the SV is a much better bike than the GPz so I wouldn't worry.