SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-09-08, 11:23 AM   #41
ThEGr33k

Default Re: Hydraulic clutch - advantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Dunno what I want really. I don't like faired bikes with clipons, if I got the TL it'd end up with proper bars on it.
Jeez there is a Falco with 15K miles for £2300!!! Do this to it and WOW!

Or this...

MUCH nicer than a tuono
Old 01-09-08, 11:26 AM   #42
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Nah. I don't like the tuono either, that and that's over budget.

Have seen daytona 595s for 1200 quid or thereabouts, and I'd end up making money on the naked conversion by selling panels.
Old 01-09-08, 11:55 AM   #43
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
TBH if you want a bike like the SV but with more go you want to look at TLs, SV1000 (though that aint that similar) Falco, Firestorm...
Nah... you bore the engine out, a little less power and a lot less weight than the above!
Old 01-09-08, 11:59 AM   #44
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Er... 1200 quid on a 120bhp ish bike... or nearly £4k just in engine internals on the SV. Seems daft to me as I don't have a kind soul to build my engines for me
Old 01-09-08, 12:47 PM   #45
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
What's it like on NSL roads?
if you really want to it'll pull hard well past the ton, but it's no fun, over 85 or so the front wheel starts to get light and the steering geometry can bring on bar shake at the hint of a bump, plus the wind protection is non-existent. for what's basically a racing engine it's very tough, but holding it flat out in top isn't what it was designed for and you won't do it much good in the long run

having said that you'll have far more fun at 0-80mph than you can on any sportsbike
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 12:52 PM   #46
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

We should probably have a seperate SM thread ... that sounds so wrong

What's it worth then? Seen a couple of CRF450's and the like for under a grand, thought about road converting a CR500, but not enough engine braking for slidey stupidity.
Old 01-09-08, 01:02 PM   #47
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
What's it worth then? Seen a couple of CRF450's and the like for under a grand, thought about road converting a CR500, but not enough engine braking for slidey stupidity.
mine owes me about £5k - but there's only a handful of road legal 560SMRs out there and finding one up for sale is pretty rare

There's the usual bunch of Honda/Yamaha 450s that make good motos, KTM also do the 450/525 EXC/SMR which are basically the same engine with smaller/larger bores/strokes than the 560, both have the same frame, swingarm etc etc except the EXC comes with all the road legal kit and 21/18" knobblies whereas the SMR comes with nothing except a numberboard and a spark only electrical system. Aprilia do the SXV450/550 and they're pretty mental performance wise (70bhp+) but fragile and expensive. KTM also do the 625/660/690 SMC which is a nice road going motard and comes road legal.

At the end of the day i looked at most of them and went for the racing four stroke KTM because it's light, powerful and reliable, if i did it again i might be tempted to get a 525EXC and convert it rather than road register a race bike, but it was a learning experience

you can probably expect to pay between £2500 and £4k for one, depending on age and condition obviously, £2.5k will probably need a bit of TLC, £4k will get you a minter
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote