SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-01-13, 06:09 AM   #1
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Screen wash / anti freeze

So why am I posting at this unearthly time when I should be 70 miles down the M6?

The answer is simple. The hire car I have been provided with as it is deemed I no longer deserve a company car full time has no anti freeze/screen wash. Would you do a 450 mile round trip on the motorways with no way to wash the salt off the screen? Me neither.

So breakfasted for the first time in ages, my own car and van defrosted both with working screenwash and I am about to give them a shock by appearing in trousers/shirt at the local office instead of my usual jeans/t shirt.

My boss can deal with my no show on the customers premises. He is responsible for health and safety in the business, and I deem an unfit vehicle a H&S issue.

I will leave it to the finance people to refuse to pay as the vehicle was unfit for use.

So people out there. Please make sure you have your screen wash topped up with a suitable anti freeze solution. Not nice not being able to see where you are going. And please make sure you fasten the bonnet down properly. The locks can get a bit icy as well. A bonnet coming up at 80 mph means total blindness as a sheet of steel wraps itself round your windscreen and roof. I have seen the results of this a couple of times.
Old 16-01-13, 06:14 AM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Screen wash / anti freeze

Yep not acceptable Tim.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-13, 08:33 AM   #3
Fallout
Mega Poster

It's surprising how quickly your visibility can become nil when the road gets slushy. Unacceptable.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-13, 08:46 AM   #4
daveyrach

Also illegal to drive with no screenwash if you get pulled it you that has to take the flak.
Old 16-01-13, 08:56 AM   #5
M65

Isnt no screen wash an MOT failure too??
Old 16-01-13, 09:01 AM   #6
Dicky Ticker

Providing it was supplied in working order is it not possible that it is frozen.On the other hand if it was given to you either empty or defective a maintenance problem for the hire co. staff.
Being transport orientated we have a check list that drivers have to do before taking their vehicle out which takes about 10 mins but better 10 mins in the yard where things are available to rectify silly faults like no screen wash or a defective bulb than ministry or police fining us or putting a vehicle off the road.
I am the same with everything I drive or ride,old habits die hard and I just wish everybody was as diligent
Old 16-01-13, 09:05 AM   #7
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by M65 View Post
Isnt no screen wash an MOT failure too??
????
its a hire car.
Hope its got an MOT.
ps
mot does not mean is legal to drive
Old 16-01-13, 09:39 AM   #8
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Even with screenwash properly mixed to winter levels I sometimes have problems with my cars failing to squirt (oo-er!) even though I check all under-bonnet levels at least weekly your round. Hire cars are often basic spec and may not have heated washer jets making it even worse. Don't blame you for not going out on the motoways without functioning jets Tim - I get through so much washer fluid at this time of year on my M4 commute I'd not want to be without it.
Old 16-01-13, 09:47 AM   #9
timwilky
Mega Poster

Boss was in agreement. My meeting with customer canceled.

I doubt a moan when Hertz collect tomorrow will have much effect. But if both the clio and van that don't have heated jets, just an extra dose of screen wash for winter work. I would have thought it should have been on their pre delivery.

But assuming the last hire had used quite a bit and simply added water etc. Then they would have been unable to add more (if any).
Old 16-01-13, 10:04 AM   #10
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

We've provided people with screen wash before now when in motorway services. Usually newly passed lady drivers.
Always carry anti freeze and screen wash with us. One good tip is to have a safety pin in the dash. The jets get clogged with salt from off the roads. Ours don't often as they are obviously on a high bonnet, but folks with little cars get the lot from lorries

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote