SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-02-06, 10:15 PM   #1
valleyboy

Default Do you have to dyno after putting on a new exhaust?

Right, not an SV question here...

Ive still got my Remus Revolution from my SV sitting here in my garage... and its the same type that can be used on my ZX-6R B1H all I need to do is buy a link pipe.. (and a new rivet band strap to repair it)
And then plonk it on.. the question is, do I have to get it re-mapped or anything? I dont want to have to fork out more money on the bloody thing.. and Im not interested in more bloody power... its got quite enough to put me into the brown stuff in 2nd gear

What I want it to do is smooth out the power.. as at 6500rpm there is a major flat spot.. and puts the fear of god into you when coming down the revs quickly... as engine breaking just disapears for an instant...

plus the fear of dropping the bike and making a mess of the original exhaust doesnt fill me full of happy thoughts...

And Im sure there is an added benefit of it sounding better though probably not as good as the SV sounded with it on
Old 07-02-06, 11:13 PM   #2
jonboy

If it's a Remus Revolution then I reckon it'll be fine as it's not a race can as such.

Old 09-02-06, 09:12 PM   #3
Term

Think you can put an end can on without it effecting the bike too much,
put a CCC end can on myZX-6R B2H and i felt it ran a bit smoother
bloke on the CCC bike stand said you can fit one without remapping
but i picked up a PCIII power commander brand new a couple of months ago
at the Kawasaki dealer in Bristol for £145 ,doubt if they got any left now at that price though.
so if i were you id just go ahead and fit it and see how it feels

And i have to admit i still reckon a V-Twin with an end can sounds better than an IL4
Old 10-02-06, 09:43 AM   #4
Jase22

I used to have a Micron can on my CBR400, which was re-sleeved and was a straight through, and it ran well. The only real difference was that the bike ran a bit lumpy at tickover and very low revs (up to perhaps 2k), but above that the bike probably ran better.

I know it's not quite the same machine, but if a 400-4 ran ok with a race can then a 600-4 should cope with it with ease without re-mapping? Might even get rid of that flat spot?
Old 10-02-06, 10:32 AM   #5
Jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase22
Might even get rid of that flat spot?
Or make it worse?

Just kidding, i would expect 90% of people who put an aftermarket can on dont get it remapped/Rejetted, its just not worth it.

If you were putting a race air filter on aswell, i would consider it then.
Old 10-02-06, 10:59 AM   #6
Jase22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase22
Might even get rid of that flat spot?
Or make it worse?

Just kidding, i would expect 90% of people who put an aftermarket can on dont get it remapped/Rejetted, its just not worth it.

If you were putting a race air filter on aswell, i would consider it then.
Yep I'd definitely get it re-mapped if was fitting a race filter, you don't want your engine running lean!

Seriously, a can that's less restrictive on airflow generally lets the engine rev more freely in my experience hence why you might lose the flat spot.
Old 10-02-06, 07:05 PM   #7
valleyboy

Well, the link pipe is on order.. as well as some rivet straps so I can repair the can properly... this time next week, the Remus shall be fitted... and little children and old grannies will be crying when I rev my engine!

cheers!