SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-09-07, 07:49 AM   #1
DanAbnormal

Default Pedestrians, especially children...

Why is it that when at a busy junction/roundabout they assume that they have right of way and walk out without even looking?

I was on my way into Brentford this morning and had to wait for about 20 kids to walk across, not one of them bothered to check that I would actually let them cross. There were numerous opportunities for me to carry on and edged forward but they still took no notice! You can guarantee if they got hit my me or a car then the focus would be on making road users more aware of pedestrians!!!!

I think the government needs to drum some roadsense back into young people.
Old 14-09-07, 08:22 AM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pedestrians, especially children...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganDan View Post
Why is it that when at a busy junction/roundabout they assume that they have right of way and walk out without even looking?

I was on my way into Brentford this morning and had to wait for about 20 kids to walk across, not one of them bothered to check that I would actually let them cross. There were numerous opportunities for me to carry on and edged forward but they still took no notice! You can guarantee if they got hit my me or a car then the focus would be on making road users more aware of pedestrians!!!!

I think the government needs to drum some roadsense back into young people.
With a BIG stick

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-07, 08:40 AM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

When my kids were about 4 I gave them road crossing lessons in the lounge.

Stand at the pavement, look right,left,right, is it clear?. then cross.

As they started to cross the imaginary road, I gave them the loudest roar I could muster. As they had stopped looking.

However, I have noticed a tendency amongst the local yobs to simply walk into the the road without a care in the world and expect everyone to stop for them.
Old 14-09-07, 08:42 AM   #4
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
However, I have noticed a tendency amongst the local yobs to simply walk into the the road without a care in the world and expect everyone to stop for them.
Run them over then. You have right of way if you first in the carriageway. If they so dumb thay don't know how to cross the road, then they are no loss to the gene pool.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-07, 09:08 AM   #5
Daimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Run them over then. You have right of way if you first in the carriageway. If they so dumb thay don't know how to cross the road, then they are no loss to the gene pool.
Doesn't work like that, I ran a pedestrian over who walked straight out in front of me, between 2 vans. The road is a 2 lane road, each way, with a large metal barrier stopping people crossing. Theres a crossing 10m down the road.

But noooooo, he tried to take ME to court for the sum of £5k after i rode straight into him and broke some of his ribs.

The courts will always see you at fault. Its simply rediculas. Introduce J walking rule I say.
Old 14-09-07, 09:10 AM   #6
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimo View Post
But noooooo, he tried to take ME to court for the sum of £5k after i rode straight into him and broke some of his ribs.
You say tried, so I guess he did not succeed? Therefore you were in the right?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-07, 09:39 AM   #7
Georgio

Friend of mine who has been riding for about 40 years had an incident with a chap walking out on to the road. The Asian Pedestrian was wearing all black, on a dark evening and walked out from a 6ft high dark fence - guess who got the blame. My friend rides a large white BMW wears a high viz vest and a white lid - kinda difficult to miss.

The law has got this all wrong!
Old 14-09-07, 09:49 AM   #8
Daimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
You say tried, so I guess he did not succeed? Therefore you were in the right?

Nope, it was a farce. Firstly i was told i'd loose as its a pedestrian. I fought it, told the case was closed, heard nothing for 2 years.

Then i get a letter out the blue saying they had paid out £4500 in total (he got about £1500) in court, i hadn't been told about any of it. I went mental at the company, they had acted without informing me of anything, and to my knowledge, the case was done and dusted years ago.

Basically, becuase he had injuries and had a doctors sign reports stating his injuries, someone HAD to be responsible. Even though the police didn't hold me at fault and i was in the right, he got a load of money.

I was livid. Somehow they haven't put it on my insurance, so rather than fight the insurance company for what they had done, i got them to send me out my certificate of NCB, they hadn't changed it (meant me loosing 4 years NCB) or noted the loss, so i got a copy of it after the letter i received about it going to court.

Now i can argue (if it ever comes up) that i have full NCB and not a couple of years.

The fact they done everything behined my back made me livid though. And the pedestrian still won and got paid out.

Makes me angry thinking about it
Old 14-09-07, 09:53 AM   #9
Flamin_Squirrel

Shame you couldn't have reversed over him and finished the job
Old 14-09-07, 09:54 AM   #10
Warthog

Man that would make me very angry too, but its the insurance companies loss! I thought they fought tooth and nail to never pay out?