SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-06-09, 11:24 AM   #1
beanie79

Default Decent Garages

Quick question.....does anybody know of a decent garage in the chorley (lancs) area?

Basically need new sprockets fitting (long shameful noob story - it has a new chain - 500 miles (not fitted by me) but I've now found out should have new sprockets at same time - ps will the chain be ok or am I going to have to have a new one of those as well?)

Cheers
Old 14-06-09, 12:17 PM   #2
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Decent Garages

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanie79 View Post
Quick question.....does anybody know of a decent garage in the chorley (lancs) area?

Basically need new sprockets fitting (long shameful noob story - it has a new chain - 500 miles (not fitted by me) but I've now found out should have new sprockets at same time - ps will the chain be ok or am I going to have to have a new one of those as well?)

Cheers
Chain'll be alright (I'd guess! don't hold me to it) just get it done asap. If you shake your chain about does it rattle like a bag of coins? With the chain at the right slack, bike on side stand tug on the chain at the 3 0 clock position on the rear sprocket - how much movement is there? Can you expose a whole tooth, half a tooth? etc.

Sorry I don't know the chorley area can't help with a garage.
Old 14-06-09, 01:04 PM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

Have you got the sprocket?.

Ride upto my place (clayton le woods) and I will fit it for you.

If you must use a garage. Give Brian at Wheelton garage a bell. He is a one man band. does good work and been doing for 40 years.
Old 14-06-09, 01:14 PM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

Or there is Dave Hill who does mobile, I haven't got his number but can get it as his brother only lives a few doors from me

Wheelton garage number is 01254 832008 but I know Brian is away until the 16th
Old 14-06-09, 01:39 PM   #5
beanie79

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Have you got the sprocket?.

Ride upto my place (clayton le woods) and I will fit it for you.

If you must use a garage. Give Brian at Wheelton garage a bell. He is a one man band. does good work and been doing for 40 years.
Haven't got the sprocket yet. But will be ordering it. I've read on previous threads that JT Stainless Steel ones are good ones to get. Once I've got it I'll pm you and if you still have any free time at that point I could pop up, if that's ok with you?
Old 14-06-09, 01:45 PM   #6
beanie79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Chain'll be alright (I'd guess! don't hold me to it) just get it done asap. If you shake your chain about does it rattle like a bag of coins? With the chain at the right slack, bike on side stand tug on the chain at the 3 0 clock position on the rear sprocket - how much movement is there? Can you expose a whole tooth, half a tooth? etc.

Sorry I don't know the chorley area can't help with a garage.
I've tried the 3 o'clock test and there's no movement whatsoever (could be cos my girly arms aren't strong enough) and I've checked the tension on the chain and it is currently at 20mm.
Old 14-06-09, 02:27 PM   #7
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanie79 View Post
Haven't got the sprocket yet. But will be ordering it. I've read on previous threads that JT Stainless Steel ones are good ones to get. Once I've got it I'll pm you and if you still have any free time at that point I could pop up, if that's ok with you?
Yeah no problem, free most of the time, make sure you get both front and back sprockets, normally I would suggest B&C Express for mail order
Old 14-06-09, 02:50 PM   #8
beanie79

Quote:
Yeah no problem, free most of the time, make sure you get both front and back sprockets, normally I would suggest B&C Express for mail order
I'm going to go for Renthal Standard Size Ultralite front and Renthal Hard Anodised Rear. Do these sound ok?
Old 14-06-09, 05:58 PM   #9
timwilky
Mega Poster

Personally I would avoid hard anodised as they don't tend to last. Also as you are not changing your chain, you need to ensure you have the same size sprockets.
Old 14-06-09, 06:06 PM   #10
beanie79

Quote:
Personally I would avoid hard anodised as they don't tend to last. Also as you are not changing your chain, you need to ensure you have the same size sprockets.
I've actually ordered a new chain as well, gone for JT Steel Sprockets with Tsubaki X ring chain. Figured I didn't pay for the other chain and it's probably pants so for piece of mind went for something that people recommended.

Or the sprockets might end up being Chiaravalli, but either way, steel. Ordered them/it from B&C Express. Final Drive kit.

Hope this is ok.

Last edited by beanie79; 14-06-09 at 06:10 PM.