SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-11-05, 12:23 PM   #1
Alex Oliver

Default Softer suspension for lighter & disabled rider needed

Hi
I have a situation where I need to make my 99 SV650S suspension more compliant – I am much lighter than the average rider so bumps are harsher making the ride uncomfortable and the handling slightly iffy on occasion. I also have a disability that means I cannot absorb the bumps too well, so I need the bike to do this for me (I live in Sheffield UK which is sort of MOTO X city).

I had imagined that (rear shock and fork) springs would exist in various ratings and that I might just get something ‘off the shelf’; indeed there are firms like Hagon, but they can’t do just the spring for the rear shock, it has to be the whole unit. I am looking into other ways but meantime wondered if anybody at SV.org could make usable suggestions?

Cheers,
Alex
www.rockandrollgypsy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
Old 18-11-05, 12:45 PM   #2
Stormspiel

Firstly....Eyup, nice to see someone else from south yorks , gettin lonely with jus me n muddycoffee .

Secondly....It depends how much cash you have to splash about, most people go for zx6 rear shocks as they are more adjustable than the stock item. Progressive springs and lighter/heavier fork oil tend to be the next step after firming the rear end up.

Someone will probs be along shortly to point you in the right direction
Old 18-11-05, 01:00 PM   #3
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspiel
Secondly....It depends how much cash you have to splash about, most people go for zx6 rear shocks as they are more adjustable than the stock item. Progressive springs and lighter/heavier fork oil tend to be the next step after firming the rear end up.
He wants to soften the suspension, a ZX6R shock is the last thing he'll want

Alex, have you tried backing off the preload?