SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-08-07, 09:32 PM   #1
jessie

Default C Spanner - Rear Preload Adjustment

Not got a C spanner supplied with 2005 SV1000S...

mr and mrs suzuki do not include one in the tool kit!!
Even suggests that only Suzuki dealer adjust rear spring preload

anyone any idea what size it is? (so i can order one) Or know any sites where can get my hands on one??

suzuki bike dealer wanted 10 quid which sounds a bit dear if u ask me just for a C spanner!!
Old 09-08-07, 11:17 PM   #2
MiniMatt

Default Re: C Spanner - Rear Preload Adjustment

Odd, there's definitely one in the 2005 650 toolkit

I'll measure mine tomorrow (the C-spanner that is), assuming it's the same as the thou.

Busters Accessories do a range, think they do an adjustable one too, but their mini one that fits onto a 3/8 ratchet fits my 650 just fine.

EDIT: I think the one from Busters was a fiver btw
Old 10-08-07, 10:33 AM   #3
John 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMatt View Post
Odd, there's definitely one in the 2005 650 toolkit

I'll measure mine tomorrow (the C-spanner that is), assuming it's the same as the thou.

Busters Accessories do a range, think they do an adjustable one too, but their mini one that fits onto a 3/8 ratchet fits my 650 just fine.

EDIT: I think the one from Busters was a fiver btw
yup i got one in mine too . . . i think you should be looking more along the lines of why you dont have one because i think you should of
Old 10-08-07, 05:24 PM   #4
RhythmJunkie

Preload? Aaaaaaaaaaargh run away very fast run away!

Yes I got one in my kit too....you want to ask where it is!
Only monkey-metal though!

Last edited by RhythmJunkie; 10-08-07 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Stopped being silly and went all serious!
Old 10-08-07, 08:24 PM   #5
jessie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmJunkie View Post
Preload? Aaaaaaaaaaargh run away very fast run away!

Yes I got one in my kit too....you want to ask where it is!
Only monkey-metal though!
havent got one in my tool kit cos its a SV1000S and the toolkit is actually mounted onboard the bike, just behind the rear shock (in a plastic holder thingy). Am assuming its not included cos its too big to get in.
Actually states in owners manual spanner not included and DONT TOUCH the rear preload go see the Suzuki Dealer for adjustment (which really is crud)
Old 10-08-07, 08:45 PM   #6
RhythmJunkie

Uh? Don't understand! My toolkit is in a plastic box thingy behind the rear shock too! In it is a C' spanner which the handbook says is for adjusting the rear suspension 'preload'!
Sounds like someone has half-inched your C'spanner mate!

I do wish people would stop mentioning SV1000's....it took me a whole month to talk myself out of buying one!
Old 10-08-07, 08:55 PM   #7
Dan

Quote:
Uh? Don't understand! My toolkit is in a plastic box thingy behind the rear shock too! In it is a C' spanner which the handbook says is for adjusting the rear suspension 'preload'!
Sounds like someone has half-inched your C'spanner mate!

I do wish people would stop mentioning SV1000's....it took me a whole month to talk myself out of buying one!
I think it's pretty simple

SV650S - C Spanner included

SV1000S - C Spanner NOT included
Old 10-08-07, 08:55 PM   #8
jessie

apart from the C Spanner thing (no it definitely not included..just re read book again) and the bike runs hot (fully faired), cant fault mine..so much power on the right hand
Its a totally different animal than the 650. Had a 99 sv650sx and this bike is so different. Feels so more planted on the roads and on the high speed stuff feels so better and more stable than the 650. Huge amounts of engine braking too but it does eat rear tyres. Cant wait to start adding goodies like twin cans and TRE.
Old 10-08-07, 09:05 PM   #9
RhythmJunkie

Quote:
SV1000S - C Spanner NOT included
Why? I mean why leave out one spanner when the bikes are so similar? Is the rear shock a beefier item on the thou?
Old 10-08-07, 09:09 PM   #10
Dan

Quote:
Why? I mean why leave out one spanner when the bikes are so similar? Is the rear shock a beefier item on the thou?
Because the thou has fully adjustable suspension, so (although I haven't checked) probably has a proper preload ring on a thread. These are considerably more hassle to adjust than a notch by notch adjuster like the 650 has. Adjusting a preload ring requires much more movement of the C Spanner, and this results in much more likelihood of the spanner slipping and scratching swingarm, shock, frame, etc - or catching fingers or wrists in between spanner and metal. This can result in litigation, hence the statements in the handbook.

My assistant just bought a brand new ZX6-R and that too doesn't have a C Spanner provided. Kawasaki advised taking the bike to a dealer for shock to be dropped out and adjusted on the bench.