SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-07-19, 06:20 PM   #1
ShadowCaptain

Default SV650 loud clanking/ticking (video)

Hey guys, my when starting up my 99 SV to ride home from work it was ticking and by the time I got home it was making a horrific clanking noise, I noticed a bolt was missing where the exhaust goes into the engine, I fit a new bolt but the noise is the same, so I suspect its something inside

You can here the noise here

https://youtu.be/9b5F707KLLE
ShadowCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 08:22 PM   #2
glang

Default Re: SV650 loud clanking/ticking (video)

It does sound bad but could still be blow from the exhaust so Id have a good look round that area with the engine running. It could have damaged the joint and even though youve replaced the bolt its still leaking.....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-19, 09:04 AM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

I think that sounds more like a cam chain than an exhaust noise. You might be able to localise it by using a long screwdriver as a stethoscope although I've never had much luck with that. The SV automatic cam chain tensioners can stick occasionally. How many miles has the bike done?

I'll assume you haven't let the oil level go below the sight glass level or been practising your wheelies?
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-19, 02:58 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Exhaust gas can sound funny when right by the head and squeezing through a narrow aperture. Anything you can wrap around the flange to see if noise changes before going off to check cam chains etc.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-19, 11:38 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I think that sounds more like a cam chain than an exhaust noise. You might be able to localise it by using a long screwdriver as a stethoscope although I've never had much luck with that. The SV automatic cam chain tensioners can stick occasionally. How many miles has the bike done?

I'll assume you haven't let the oil level go below the sight glass level or been practising your wheelies?
yup cam chain slap.. one of the comon causes beleve it or not is either stuck cam chain or the carbs needing ballanced.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-19, 12:02 AM   #6
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
yup cam chain slap.. one of the comon causes beleve it or not is either stuck cam chain or the carbs needing ballanced.
Cam chain slap caused by carbs out of balance? Go on explain that one please.

As for the OP, yep that doesn't sound healthy, and I've heard a few rough SV engines in my time. However things can sound a little different over the net so before declaring something terminal lets go through the process; I'd be looking at the condition of the exhaust, debris in the oil, play in the cam chain, condition of the tensioners, cam timing, big end play, etc...

Any update?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 01:45 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

when the carbs are out of balance a lot it causes the engine to stutter as it wont tick over properly. the stutter motion of the pistons causes the cam chain to go momentarily slack and slap. i have heard it before and it has gone with a good carb balance, cam chain slack on the other hand is completely different.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 09:24 PM   #8
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
when the carbs are out of balance a lot it causes the engine to stutter as it wont tick over properly. the stutter motion of the pistons causes the cam chain to go momentarily slack and slap. i have heard it before and it has gone with a good carb balance, cam chain slack on the other hand is completely different.
Stutter motion of the pistons? I'm not sure I follow... I've had a quick google and can't find anything that explains how out of balance carbs will effect a cam chain, can you?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-19, 11:30 AM   #9
Scittyf

Has the op looked around the exhaust - I listened to this over the video and it does sound like a blow in the exhaust more than anything.
It sounds quite tinnie - Hard to tell on a video though.
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-19, 12:07 PM   #10
glang

I think Shadow Captain's bike has either gone to that race track in the sky or the problems been sorted and its cruising around smoothly again (I like to imagine its this second possibility!)
glang is offline   Reply With Quote