SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-10-19, 08:14 PM   #31
glang

Default Re: Underwater SV

well its still a bit early to talk of a result as things can fail later and theres no knowing how much the engine is going to suffer but yes it could have been a lot worse.....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-19, 09:57 PM   #32
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Like I said earlier it's not necessarily such a disaster for a bike to go under water providing it's not revving it's nuts off at the time, and you do something about it fairly promptly. I used to ride off road a fair bit and I've lost count of the number of times I completely submerged my bike. I remember once going over the handlebars after being a tad to ambitious and it took me several minutes of wading around with the water up to my chest to find the bike!. Had it running again within twenty minutes! The two strokes were generally easier simply because they didn't have sumps to worry about but the electrics rarely gave any issues, although in fairness they did get a bit more maintenance than your average road bike.....
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-19, 07:05 AM   #33
glang

I feared the worst because it took a week to pump out the bike's storage area and then the mud made it a few more days before it could be dragged out! So I cant believe how lucky I was with the speedo as I reckon its easily the most vulnerable component....
Old 20-10-19, 07:37 AM   #34
glang

well shes pretty much back in one piece and I well impressed that all the electrics work with out exception! Even the rear LED light which I had to drill a hole in to drain the water out that was slopping around inside is fully functioning. Some of the switches dont feel as smooth as previously so probably still have mud in them and theyre on the long list of maintenance stuff Ive got to tackle over the winter. Now just hope theres no nasty longer term surprises waiting.....
Old 20-10-19, 01:19 PM   #35
Bike27

Looking like quite a result so far.

If all that cleaning / lubing / replacing / regreasing gets a bit too tedious then I suppose there's always the flog it option.

"Good condition, never seen rain" .

Be much more satisfying if you can rack up another 10k on it though, knowing you saved it from a watery grave.
Bike27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-19, 02:33 PM   #36
glang

wasnt thinking of replacing it as I cant find any other bike that fits the bill so well (for me) as the SV. Not at a sensible price anyway....
Old 14-03-21, 03:30 PM   #37
glang

Update:
Well the bike seems to have survived its immersion so in case anyone else suffers a similar problem heres the principal problems I encountered -

After market can was full of mud and needed repacking.
Rear light module got water in it which I could seem to drain so drilled a small hole and it works ok.
STVA motor survived but I should have dismantled it straight away to get the water out rather than waiting for it to stop and then investigate.
Same for headstock bearing which has suffered corrosion damage as the water sat in there for a long time.
Obviously fuel tank was contaminated with mud so I had to remove the pump and clean it very carefully.
I changed fork oil thinking it would have water in it but didnt find any.
Didnt dismantle switches or ignition in the end but just well sprayed them with WD40.

Everything else seems ok but of course time might tell a different story...