SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-10-19, 09:29 PM   #1
Toonleigh09

Default DIY or pro suspension

Hi, currently looking to convert a 2000 650S from road to track. I have done basic servicing but wondering if I should do the suspension or pay an expert. Been advised £90 emulators and £80 for springs, also £110 for rebuild (total £270). Rear shock is £135 to rebuild a Kawasaki 636 shock. I do have access to tool room at work but will the expert give anymore. Cheers leigh
Toonleigh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-19, 08:40 PM   #2
Scittyf

Default Re: DIY or pro suspension

Sounds like a reasonable amount not to get your hands dirty with tried and tested methods.
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-19, 09:11 PM   #3
Toonleigh09

Yea thought it was a good price, all they do is suspension and race prep bikes. Just keen to learn as much as I can
Old 14-10-19, 04:34 AM   #4
Scittyf

I think for that price it would be hard to beat as I don't think you'll get it much cheaper. Plus you'll save skin on your hands and any issues you can take it back.

Is this a local company to yourself?
Old 14-10-19, 09:29 AM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

The thing with emulators is that they are very unlikely (IMO) to get it right first time, so you're down to analysing what it's doing then modifying to suit. If you are able to describe any shortcomings you are probably capable of modifying it yourself.
I found I had to alter the hole size in the disc valves and change the valve spring rate substantially, plus deciding on spring preload, in order to get the emulators to work anywhere near where I'd like.
Changing front suspension springs is easy enough, and sorting the spacer length for ride height is simple enough. Choosing oil will have a significant effect too (I use only Fuchs/Silkolene "Maintain" RSF because of the high VI). Track use might be less fussy than road use, you tend not to get the wide variety of surface irregularities on a track (I don't do track riding).

Their quoted price seems perfectly reasonable.
Old 14-10-19, 01:50 PM   #6
Toonleigh09

Hi, thanks for the messages. Not really questioning the qte I thought that was a good price. I have only been riding about 8 years and apart from my first bike where I did the basic servicing, I have always taken my bikes to the dealers. One of the reasons for converting the bike rather than just buying a track prepped bike was to learn as I was going. With regards to identifying what is wrong with the suspension I don’t really have a clue. Typing this I am wondering if I get the suspension set up correctly but see if I can watch and question his thought process. Hopefully learn from that and then adjust myself going forward. Anyway the garage is about half a mile from where I work (KRG Motorcycles)
Old 14-10-19, 04:11 PM   #7
Scittyf

I never thought the standard stuff was that horrendous if I'm honest. However I certainly don't push as much as I used to when I was younger.

Is the old stuff on it currently very worn?
Some times sorting out the basics can really help and making sure the rubber on the bike is newer and not rounded off makes quite a big difference.

I'd probably start with the front springs and fresh oil.
The rear shock should be changed out to allow you more adjustment. As preload is not much in the way of setup.

I changed to heavier weight oil on previous bikes to help stiffen up the front. I was always pretty happy with results.

I've not changed anything on the SV currently but my next port of call is changing tyres to something a bit newer.

From people who have modded the suspension with the above parts did it really make that much difference. Did you go from readjusting mid bend to all of a sudden being a knee down god?
Old 14-10-19, 08:49 PM   #8
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Sounds a reasonable price but TBH you would be better doing the GSXR front end conversion. You do need a special bearing but that aside it's the best route for a track bike. The forks are okay at best, same with the brakes, so you can improve on them but they're a different level; track riding will show up how poor the stock suspension is. I didn't think emulators were so difficult to set up, that or I'm not good enough to tell the difference.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-19, 11:39 AM   #9
gt alex

Hi I am setting mine up at the moment.(gen1) but I am no expert.

For the front I selected spring rates that gave correct sag measerments. and set the emulators as soft side of recommended street setting with 15w oil and filled the tubes 10mm higher than standard. The emulator does compression and oil the rebound

For the rear I am using a aftermarket adjustable shock spring combo and the sag figures are good but I had thought I may have needed a different spring but I was luky.

It is all new so I will be changing 1 thing at a time to get it sorted. hope this helps in some way
gt alex is offline   Reply With Quote