SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

For Sale - SV's and SV related items For SV's and SV spare parts only. 650 or 1000 No other items Unsanctioned trade ads will be deleted as will spam and chat.

Old 20-03-12, 11:49 AM   #1
huskie69

Default Pointy K3 - non-runner for sale

Hi.

I've got a pointy silver K3 which died on me at the beginning of the month. I've been told conflicting stories from different mechanics - one said the a cam chain had snapped/jumped a tooth. Another said the big-end may have gone. I got the bike started last week and there's a grinding/clanking noise coming from the front of the engine. I don't want to start her up again in case I cause further damage.

I don't know anyone handy enough to look at it and tell me exactly what's wrong with it without shelling out about £250 just on the labour of diagnosis.

With this in mind, I'm looking to sell the bike as it is. Worst case scenario is big end damaged (full engine replacement maybe £300). If the valves haven't been eaten by the camchain skipping a tooth (I don't think this is the case as the bike did start up albeit with one hell of a noise) then this can be rectified for the cost of labour and maybe a new chain.

The bike's done about 43k all in all. Camchain's and CCTs changed last May at a cost of £650 (so you can imagine I'm even more ****ed off if it is a camchain!).

Rather than shell out on getting a diagnosis, I'd prefer to get a bit of value back on the bike and sell it to someone who's more able to fix these things than I am and won't need to spend on a mechanic's labour.

Obviously she's not running but if you're interested, let me know!

I'd be happy to let her go for £900 (cost me £1700 this time last year). New set of Michelin Pilot roads in Jan with less than 1k on them, a 'Fuel' legal stubby exhaust for one hell of a grumbly noise (on par with the rumbly Harleys) along with the stock exhaust and loads more extras thrown in. MOT til August, Tax till next Jan.

Bike is located in North Wales (Conwy area).

UPDATE: I went to see about starting her up when I got back from work last night and, after some help from another battery, managed to fire her up after a few cranks. She's not misfiring and the mechanical slapping noise seems to be coming from the right had side CCT compartment - the engine tone does seem quite muted compared to normal. So it's not as serious as I first thought and doesn't sound like it'll need a new engine after all. Still for sale though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0205.jpg (101.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0206.jpg (45.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0207.jpg (42.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by huskie69; 21-03-12 at 02:51 PM.
Old 21-03-12, 08:55 AM   #2
huskie69

Default Re: Pointy K3 - non-runner for sale

Recent pics now attached.
Old 21-03-12, 12:24 PM   #3
Daveog

Sorry to hear that matey. It took me nearly six months to find a replacement engine for fair money. Most breakers are asking £600 (and half of them look like they've been sitting in damp places for ages.)
Old 21-03-12, 12:35 PM   #4
huskie69

UPDATE: I went to see about starting her up when I got back from work last night and, after some help from another battery, managed to fire her up after a few cranks. She's not misfiring and the mechanical slapping noise seems to be coming from the right had side CCT compartment - the engine tone does seem quite muted compared to normal. So it's not as serious as I first thought and doesn't sound like it'll need a new engine after all. Still for sale though!

Last edited by huskie69; 21-03-12 at 02:05 PM.
Old 21-03-12, 01:52 PM   #5
flymo
Mega Poster

fairly simple to remove and examine the CCT. If its not that then almost certainly it'll need one of the cylinder heads lifting off to take a proper look.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-12, 02:02 PM   #6
huskie69

Nah, tried it last year and couldn't do it - even with the help of a more technically knowledgeable friend! They're really fiddly on the SVs - even bike mechs reckon a good 1.5 -2hrs labour just to get to the CCTs.

Last edited by huskie69; 21-03-12 at 02:06 PM.
Old 21-03-12, 02:07 PM   #7
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskie69 View Post
...even bike mechs reckon a good 1.5 -2hrs labour jus to get to the CCTs.
that's bull. 15 mins to take 'em out and have a look.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-12, 03:44 PM   #8
hardhat_harry

Even easier if its the front one your checking
Old 21-03-12, 03:50 PM   #9
huskie69

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
that's bull. 15 mins to take 'em out and have a look.
Maybe for someone who knows what they're doing / doesn't milk unwitting customers for every penny
Old 21-03-12, 03:54 PM   #10
hardhat_harry

Post the sound up on t'interweb and we can have a listen. CCT's gone wrong and a knackered crank do sound different.

CCT's go tickity tick

Crank sounds like a lump hammer in your engine banging