SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-09-19, 08:16 PM   #1
glang

Default Underwater SV

Due to flooding my pointy has just spent the best part of a week completely submerged in rain water and I dont think the insurance will cover it. Has anyone got any previous experience of this and knowledge of how and if its possible to get it back on the road?
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-19, 09:14 PM   #2
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Underwater SV

Not completely submerged, but I did ride through a flood once. The bow wave came up over the front fairing and screen before heading down the inside of my jacket.

First thing do not start it. Do not even attempt to turn the engine over by hand.

Second talk to your insurance company and see what they will be doing.

I started writing a little list on what I'd be thinking of doing, but the list got very long and very expensive, and its not without risk. I think the phase "uneconomical to repair" is appropriate here. To answer the question, yes it would be possible, but it then becomes a question of is it worth it as you'll be basically rebuilding the entire machine if you are to do it properly?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-19, 09:36 PM   #3
glang

The SV looks generally pretty well water proofed (better than a car say) but the speedo looks vulnerable. Sorting out the mechanical side looks more straight forward....
Old 22-09-19, 11:09 PM   #4
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

The bike is not water proof, no where close, and sorting the mechanical side is not going to be straight forward. I would be concerned about the engine more than anything. If the water was above the speedo then the engine will be full of water. And water will rust the engine internals. I'd be wondering about the bores, the bearings, the cam chains, the gears, and even the clutch plates. Even ignoring the rust issue, that water isn't going to be clean, it will be carrying all sorts of dirt and debris which is now sat in your engine.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 06:58 AM   #5
glang

hmmm not the answers I was hoping to hear....
Old 23-09-19, 07:01 AM   #6
shiftin_gear98

Bugger, that's not great.
The fact it's been submerged for a week, I would have thought it's well and truly dead by now.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 07:35 AM   #7
Craig380
Mega Poster

Sorry to hear this. When you say completely submerged, do you mean above the top of the fuel tank / instrument pod? If so, the water is extremely likely to got into the cylinders via the airbox or exhausts, as a pair of valves could have been open. I don't know what the water will have done to things like starter motor, relays, etc.

I would be tempted to start by ensuring there's no water in the airbox. If you can separate the exhaust at the bottom of the front header, do that, as it will allow water in the exhaust to drain.

Then remove the spark plugs and turning the motor by hand (or pushing in gear) to help any water in the cylinders out. Then fog some WD40 down the bores. Then change the oil and filter and use el cheapo 10W40. Reinsert the plugs and try a start. If it does start, great, let it idle and get properly warmed up. Then dump the oil, refill and repeat.

After two oil fills & drains, change the filter again and fill with fresh, quality oil. That's the best you can do for the engine, I think.

Then it's a case of doing all the tedious stuff like cleaning / regreasing chassis bearings, cleaning out brake calipers, etc etc.

Good luck either way.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 07:35 AM   #8
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
hmmm not the answers I was hoping to hear....
As others have said if the Insurance won't cover it then you have to do a cost analysis of bringing it back to see if it's worth it.

The bare minimum I would do it drain the fuel tank and buy some cheap car oil(B&M/Home Bargains) as sacrificial oil and drain and replace the oil-Twice at least.Then strip out the fuses and get ready to clean all connectors.
The Rev and Speedo will most likely be shot but there are those cheap Rev/Speed arrays on eBay/Amazon.

As it's only been a week with luck there won't be too much corrosion yet inside the engine.It's going to be a,"Project" if you decide to go ahead with the recovery.
Old 23-09-19, 10:56 AM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Sorry to hear this. When you say completely submerged, do you mean above the top of the fuel tank / instrument pod? If so, the water is extremely likely to got into the cylinders via the airbox or exhausts, as a pair of valves could have been open. I don't know what the water will have done to things like starter motor, relays, etc.

I would be tempted to start by ensuring there's no water in the airbox. If you can separate the exhaust at the bottom of the front header, do that, as it will allow water in the exhaust to drain.

Then remove the spark plugs and turning the motor by hand (or pushing in gear) to help any water in the cylinders out. Then fog some WD40 down the bores. Then change the oil and filter and use el cheapo 10W40. Reinsert the plugs and try a start. If it does start, great, let it idle and get properly warmed up. Then dump the oil, refill and repeat.

After two oil fills & drains, change the filter again and fill with fresh, quality oil. That's the best you can do for the engine, I think.

Then it's a case of doing all the tedious stuff like cleaning / regreasing chassis bearings, cleaning out brake calipers, etc etc.

Good luck either way.

Agree with all of that. First get all the water out and dry everything. Then see what no longer works and take it from there.
Old 23-09-19, 08:34 PM   #10
glang

well started on it today. Removed all plastic, silencer, airbox and ran water through the sparkplug holes while turning the engine over on the back wheel. It eventually ran clear so reasonably happy bores are clean. Tomorrow I'll drain oil/water and put a bit of oil in the bores and leave to dry as much as possible. In the meantime Ive got the speedo apart and it hasnt got too wet inside although there is some mud so I might be able to save it....