SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-10-07, 01:14 PM   #51
sinbad

Default Re: Advanced riding – braking

I must say I'm staggered that IAM doesn't approve of two-fingered braking. Why, just why? What is the alternative that they recommend? It surely can't be as simple, convenient, efficient and easy as 2 fingers. Amazing.
Old 18-10-07, 01:21 PM   #52
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
I must say I'm staggered that IAM doesn't approve of two-fingered braking. Why, just why? What is the alternative that they recommend? It surely can't be as simple, convenient, efficient and easy as 2 fingers. Amazing.
Indeed, I feel that is even more fundamental and/or unsubstantiated than running the brakes into a turn thing ...

I know I'll get flamed for this, but if these methods are so seemingly debased, or at least well outdated, one has to question it as a whole?!?!
Old 18-10-07, 02:32 PM   #53
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
The alternative they recommend is 4 fingers. Would any of our police riders care to explain why this is the case (I believe IAM is based on police roadcraft)? Personally, I only use 4 fingers when emergency stopping from high speeds (90+).
Old 18-10-07, 02:34 PM   #54
northwind
Mega Poster

Was the 2-fingers-bad, 4-fingers-good rule perhaps written 10 years ago when you couldn't stop a pushbike with 2 fingers?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-07, 02:47 PM   #55
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Was the 2-fingers-bad, 4-fingers-good rule perhaps written 10 years ago when you couldn't stop a pushbike with 2 fingers?
Yes. Amusingly the first thing that sprang to mind when I was told off for 2 finger braking was, "this is like cycling proficiency all over again!"

I remember being taught 4 finger braking on my DAS, the grounds being that under hard braking the lever could come back to the bar and your other fingers would stop you from braking as hard (as well as potentially crushing your fingers).

As an aside, I feel quite strongly about IAM's stance on this sort of thing because I feel it's petty and puts a lot of people off. It's the sportbike riding weekend warriors who dream of being Rossi that you want to sign up to IAM as they are most likely to off themselves through poor riding (not suggesting anyone in this thread). The Beemer/Pan brigade would already ride reasonably sensibly (if not particularly quickly). If IAM is primarily about safety, it needs to encourage the former sort of rider and being picky about things like 2 finger braking isn't the way to do it.

Last edited by Ceri JC; 18-10-07 at 02:51 PM.
Old 27-10-07, 06:46 AM   #56
Stig

I can't do 4 finger braking. Little pinkie doesn't open enough. Hell, before the end of the year, there won't even be a little pinkie on the right. So there.
Old 27-10-07, 07:05 AM   #57
the white rabbit

At Offroad Skills we were taught exactly what you would expect, 2 fingers.

We were actually taught two fingers over all the time as obviously things are a little different and it also stops you grabbing the throttle and winding it back when you get jerked about, so to speak.

Which gets me to thinking I think I ride two fingers covering the brakes/clutch most of the time.
Old 27-10-07, 12:29 PM   #58
chunkytfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Reading a ‘roadcraft’ type book at the weekend, in the ADVANCED RIDING section it said that one should only ever brake in a straight line, brakes should only be on/applied mid-corner if there is a sudden need to …

This is an ADVANCED technique?

I havent read all 6 pages but which part of the technique are you unsure of?

Is it to do with the fact that you and i both know you can brake mid corner or that you're questioning weather what they are saying is advanced rather than just common sense?

ME personally i always try and brake in a straight line on the road. TO find myself in a position where i need to brake whilst tipping into the corner means i've messed up that corner. However knowing how much i can brake while leaning the bike over is no bad thing and and should really be something everyone should have at least the simplest understanding of imo.

Edit- Having now read the whole thread I think a vital part of the IAM's intention is missing.

Riding as per the IAM way is not about going as quick as possible, which we have all agreed trail braking to an apex and powering from that point on will assist, it's about making the pace at which you are going as safe as posssible in a fail safe method hence things like the 4 finger braking and no toes on the pegs. Yes 2 finger braking might be better for us in respect of feel but what happens should the lever inherit extra tavel or the adjuster unwinds and brings the lever back to the bar. You would have to release the brakes and the re-apply after moving your other 2 fingers thus increasing the chance of whatever your braking for coming up and causing a problem. Same applies to the toes on pegs thing, what if you need to apply the rear brake suddenly? you would have to move your foot first which could take up vital yards which could be the difference between hitting the car or not.

Do you see what i'm saying. By learning to treat every obstacle in a set manner time and time again you can be sure to be as safe as possible. The fact the IAM teaches effectively quick riding is nothing more than a by product of the methods you learnt to make you safe.

I'd agree with the comments that some of the IAM 'methods' are outdated but in theory they all stand water hence they havent got rid of them it's just that the likelyhood of the reason them still being in place is unlikely to happen.

Last edited by chunkytfg; 27-10-07 at 12:52 PM.