SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-01-17, 09:15 AM   #901
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: The All new Reeder Megathread

Sucks about ya Ma Mav but as you say it does mean she can be retired from the road with a reasonable excuse now. With ageing parents myself I'm not looking forward to this sort of conversation if it's required.

Hope the accommodation search is not too painful.
Old 13-01-17, 05:52 PM   #902
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Yep it solved a problem and things weren't going to get any easier for her. Trying to get her assessed to get her into a home so she has more contact with people and someone to watch over her 24/7
be careful with that Mav. the home will sell your mum's house to pay for the care and often at very under market prices.. unless your father is still alive.

speak to your mum first and explain the situation that might occur and have her sell or transfer the house into a trusting family members name before you put her into care. also you might want to get her to write a will with a solicitor.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-17, 06:03 PM   #903
maviczap
Mega Poster

Thanks Bib, the will is in place. We have looked into doing this, but its out of our pocket. Plus there a mortgage on it too.

We'll sell the house at the market rate, pay the mortgage off, and my mum will have whats left.

Its not what we want, but its our only option.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-17, 07:56 PM   #904
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post

We'll sell the house at the market rate, pay the mortgage off, and my mum will have whats left.
unfortunately you wont get the chance as it will be in the T&C's of the care home for them to guarantee they get paid. they sell the property, remove all solicitor/sales/marketing costs then what ever is left they will put into your mum's bank account then set up a DD to pay the home fees.

once the money has run out they will transfer your mum into a 'state home'. the state home will then take what ever money that your mum receives in pensions or any other means and the gov top it up. or community care and pay nowt depending on care levels.

£3200 avg a month for nursing home.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/features/how...e-fees-3835475

i'm in the same situation (sort of) with the wife. if i die first the state get everything. mind you i know the wife and she will top herself within a week if it happens.
Old 13-01-17, 08:38 PM   #905
maviczap
Mega Poster

She's not going to a nursing/care home yet, we want her to move into a flat in a complex and rent that flat. Within this complex there's a warden, its not a nursing home.

So we can sell her house and clear the debt, and a litle left over for her. If my sister got the facts right, her pensions will cover the rent, with enough left over for food etc. My sisters in charge of this side of things, im looking after the money issues.

One thing that shocked me, is my mum is paying more for her Virgin tv, phone & broadband than we are with Sky, and I'm paying too much! She doesnt even watch movies, so lord knows what shes paying for. Thats criminal. But that'll be sorted this week as I've swapped her provider, and she'll have Freesat.

Last edited by maviczap; 13-01-17 at 08:46 PM.
Old 13-01-17, 09:07 PM   #906
Trev B

Don't know if this could be of any use to you.Last year I went to my solicitor in the uk to see about getting around this having to sell the house should either of us have to go into a nursing home later in life.This is how it panned out. 1. Put it into our two children's names.Fine,but the taxman can say you did it to avoid paying for the care Or if your children get divorced their partners can claim 50% of your children's share. 2.Put it into a trust (no charges ) so that each of our halves are protected against sale of our property should we have to go into care.they can't make you Sell and the other half can live there until they need care or die,then they can claim the money AFTER you've died,BUT if we both have to go in we would have to sell. 3.Sell now and down size and enjoy the rest,4.Sell now and rent and put the money under the mattress and enjoy it. He said number 2 was the best for us so did it,but keep all options open as the law can change and if it does it won't be in our favour.IMO go and have a word with someone who can give professional advice !!!
Old 13-01-17, 09:37 PM   #907
maviczap
Mega Poster

Thanks Trev, that's very helpful. Option 2 would be good but there's still the mortgage to clear.

If I could have afforded to take a mortgage out to clear it, I could only gift it to my mum and I'd still be stuffed by option 1 taxman clause.

Option 3 is our best bet.
Old 13-01-17, 10:30 PM   #908
Bibio
Mega Poster

here's an interesting one for you. old farmer living in his house and getting on a bit. one day the social work and police turn up and remove him from the house and place him in an institutional care home as in their view he was a danger to himself and they take his house and land off him. the man had no family so nobody could speak up for him. the mad died and shortly after the property was turned into a care home........ you couldn't make it up if you tried. council's, gov, courts, police, solicitors and everything else that are connected in the legal circle are all at it and are a bunch of nasty *******s.

this happens more often than you would think.
Old 14-01-17, 07:10 AM   #909
maviczap
Mega Poster

I can believe it Bib
Old 14-01-17, 08:55 PM   #910
Bibio
Mega Poster

ikea Espevar bed bases, not as bad to assemble as i thought it was going to be. i got the Hesseng mattress a few week ago and i must say its rather nice. had to get a new base as the old silentnight one was too tall for Mrs B, she had to stand on a step to get on the bed... lol. new base is much better hight.