SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-11-16, 08:33 PM   #1
munkygunn182

Default OMO - access to garage

Oh mighty org, I request advice for thee.

I have started renting a garage for storing the bike and I'm currently fitting it out as a workshop. It's on a private lane (100% confirmed as not council's responsibility). The lane is reasonably wide, i.e. two cars can sit side by side.

There's builders working on a house opposite and they've basically commandeered the end of the lane as their yard - this was the case before I started renting.

There's enough access to get the bike in and out, so no real complaints from me. The guy I split with has decided he'd like to get his car in when he's working offshore. Problem being that the builders haven't allowed enough space to do so. He's spoken with some of the builders who say the 'yard' will be in situ for 'at least a year'....i.e. we can't wholly access our premises for that period.

He got the contact details of the contract supervisor and pinged an e-mail to enquire. No reply. I sent the contract supervisor an email also, in which I offered my contact details and to meet him on site to go through it. No reply.

We've spoken to the council for guidance...not necessarily their assistance, but they're not interested as it's a private lane.

Has anyone got experience in this and could advise on what we might be able to do in order to speed along access? I don't think it was a problem for the previous tenant as he only used it for storage so didn't require vehicular access. Our emails to the contract supervisor basically asked for access to be made available as of the start of January (at time of initial emails, this was 12 weeks away!)

Like I say - any pointers would be brilliant!

For what it's worth, the garage is in Glasgow.
Old 30-11-16, 08:47 PM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: OMO - access to garage

Who owns the private land? Has someone tried speaking to the builders directly?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-16, 09:03 PM   #3
munkygunn182

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Who owns the private land? Has someone tried speaking to the builders directly?
Not sure who owns the land - my understanding is that the houses are all privately owned by individuals.

Yeah tried speaking with the lads direct - not interested. 'Not my decision to make' got banded about quite a bit.
Old 30-11-16, 09:21 PM   #4
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

I'd go to their office if they aren't being reasonable. If they continue to ignore you, find a way to mess things up for them. Do they get deliveries via the lane? Or could you block their van in?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-16, 07:48 AM   #5
Fen Tiger

Maybe try and establish whether there is a specific offence in Scottish law which they are committing. Then correspond with the owner or secretary of the building business by letter taken by hand to the company office or first class post to the registered head office. Keep a log and copies of correspondence. If they do not play ball you need to be building a case for the civil court. Again, may be different in Scotland. Try to have a witness with you for corroboration if you have a face to face meeting. As long as you keep friendly they should respond reasonably I reckon. Also, maybe worth dealing with the owner of the house they are working on who may have more interest in not upsetting the neighbours. It may be that individual who is responsible in law, needs checking.
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-16, 08:00 AM   #6
Fen Tiger

Just a thought. You may find the solution in suggesting the builders/owner of the property provide an alternative garage for you until the completion of their works. If they don't do that then at least you can show that you have been reasonable by trying to compromise.
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-16, 11:46 AM   #7
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Hold GMIX & a half there next weekend.
Should clear a way through! ?
Old 01-12-16, 01:34 PM   #8
Davadvice

if there is a rite of access and they are causing an obstruction then you have a possible way from there.
you could also look into the access for emergency vehicles and look down that route.

What is the obstruction is it fencing materials?

I would try and make the point that you cant get something out rather than in.

If they are building for a year there will need to be planning you could look at the planning conditions and make sure they are compliant and if not contact the planning officer.

https://publicaccess.glasgow.gov.uk/...pe=Application

Good luck.
Old 01-12-16, 03:41 PM   #9
PyroUK
Mega Poster

In England there is only legislation for right if exit from a property, not right of entry. Not sure if it's the same in Scotland but may be worth having a chat with the local plod to ask their opinion? Not intervention, just if the law is the same there.

Otherwise check with the owners who the "drive" belongs to as it's private land I'd imagine they would need permission from the owner to use it and they may be able to have words with the contractor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-16, 10:09 PM   #10
TamSV
Mega Poster

Who's the actual employer/main contractor/client? Make a polite nuisance of yourself at the top of the tree.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote