SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-03-17, 02:31 PM   #141
Tomthetimthing

Default Re: SVBMX Build Thread (99 SV650)

Love the sketches mate. Would you be modifying existing ones or making fiberglass moulds?

One thing that I've always thought looks sick on an SV is the line that follows the underneath of the tail (from a side view). You think you could do some detailing that followed that line?

Also what sketching software do you use?

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Tomthetimthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-17, 03:20 PM   #142
Trev B

Default Re: SVBMX Build Thread

Like it
Old 16-03-17, 07:29 PM   #143
svbmx

Here's another angle...

The angle at the top of the fairing, where it bends in towards the frame will be radiused. And I'll be making the fairing from sheet aluminium, mainly because i have access to plenty of the stuff and many metal cutting/punching/bending machines at work. If they come out well then il perhaps look at making a fibreglass fairing using the shaped aluminium as a mold.

As for the sketching, i simply print off a lightened copy of the photo, sketch by hand how i want it to look, scan the sketched image back to my computer then cut/paste the sketched section of the image to the original image file. Then i use GIMP to add a touch of colour. I'm sure there's software out there to make such a process much more simple but that's the way i like to work

I know this half fairing isn't going to be to everyone's taste but it's something a little bit different and combines my torn love of both faired and naked bikes!

I'm taking inspiration from this ducati render i came across whilst browsing instagram...

Old 16-03-17, 09:43 PM   #144
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Could be interesting! I like the curve around the clutch cover. I think if the headlight had more of a cowl to it, rather than just the basic round light, it would tie it together better
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-17, 12:05 AM   #145
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Interesting.

Different.

I wasn't sure from the rear sketch as it didn't look like the fairing extended enough towards the headstock, but from the front on it looks better. I think the key here is to ensure its not like a faired bike thats lost the nose cone.

The more I look at it the more I appreciate it. It's a unique look and I'm not being derogatory by saying that, I can't think of another SV that has this.

At the end of the day there is only one real answer to the question...

Do it!

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-17, 07:24 AM   #146
SheepShagger

Default Re: SVBMX Build Thread (99 SV650)

Really nice looking bike man, kudos.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-17, 10:13 PM   #147
TamSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
I wasn't sure from the rear sketch as it didn't look like the fairing extended enough towards the headstock, but from the front on it looks better. I think the key here is to ensure its not like a faired bike thats lost the nose cone.

This.

Your idea of it curving into the frame at the top is pretty key I think to making it look complete.

Like the idea.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-17, 08:00 PM   #148
Tannoy964

Quote:
Originally Posted by svbmx View Post
Here's another angle...

The angle at the top of the fairing, where it bends in towards the frame will be radiused. And I'll be making the fairing from sheet aluminium, mainly because i have access to plenty of the stuff and many metal cutting/punching/bending machines at work. If they come out well then il perhaps look at making a fibreglass fairing using the shaped aluminium as a mold.

As for the sketching, i simply print off a lightened copy of the photo, sketch by hand how i want it to look, scan the sketched image back to my computer then cut/paste the sketched section of the image to the original image file. Then i use GIMP to add a touch of colour. I'm sure there's software out there to make such a process much more simple but that's the way i like to work

I know this half fairing isn't going to be to everyone's taste but it's something a little bit different and combines my torn love of both faired and naked bikes!

I'm taking inspiration from this ducati render i came across whilst browsing instagram...

Firstly let me congratulate you on a great build!
I really like this half faired concept. The lines around the exhaust and clutch cover are really tidy and I actually think the concept works well with the light as it is. Looking at the inspiration image, I personally think you have a better shape to the front lower half of the fairing (the grilled area). The question I have (again looking at the inspiration image) is, did you consider carrying on your line on the front, making it one sweeping arc from bottom to top, rather than going round the radiator? I know this would probably involve a different rad/s..which could be a massive job but I think it would really finish it off....if it's doable. Having said that, if you get it close to the sketch it's still going to look the business.
Tannoy964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-17, 09:41 AM   #149
svbmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannoy964 View Post
Firstly let me congratulate you on a great build!
I really like this half faired concept. The lines around the exhaust and clutch cover are really tidy and I actually think the concept works well with the light as it is. Looking at the inspiration image, I personally think you have a better shape to the front lower half of the fairing (the grilled area). The question I have (again looking at the inspiration image) is, did you consider carrying on your line on the front, making it one sweeping arc from bottom to top, rather than going round the radiator? I know this would probably involve a different rad/s..which could be a massive job but I think it would really finish it off....if it's doable. Having said that, if you get it close to the sketch it's still going to look the business.
Thanks for the kind words

To answer your question, yes! The sketch doesn't quite portray my intentions as well as I'd have liked. Hopefully my cardboard mock-up attempt shown in the photos below will help...

Gonna make a start on the fairing this weekend.
Old 04-05-17, 09:45 AM   #150
SheepShagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by svbmx View Post
Thanks for the kind words

To answer your question, yes! The sketch doesn't quite portray my intentions as well as I'd have liked. Hopefully my cardboard mock-up attempt shown in the photos below will help...

Gonna make a start on the fairing this weekend.
Rrally nice concept bud, be great to see that executed

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote