SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-06-11, 08:51 PM   #1
The Idle Biker

Default Operation Crackdown

I saw this and wondered if this type of initiative was nationwide. This is for Sussex.

I have no idea, if this is effective, if the police follow up, if it's lip service PR to to appear to promote safe driving or if it really is a well backed team who might make a difference.

What do you think? Follow linky.

http://www.operationcrackdown.org/
Old 16-06-11, 09:04 PM   #2
600+

Default Re: Operation Crackdown

I think it's a disgrace that we live in a snitch society
Old 16-06-11, 09:21 PM   #3
The Idle Biker

I know what you mean but I read it in a different context. I found it in a post on another forum, from a biker that had been nearly taken out by a car whose driving appeared completely deaf and half blind. The rider was banging on about how he wanted to give the driver a slap etc.

A cop posted saying instead of getting frustrated, throw a hissy fit or a couple of left hooks etc, let them know on this website and they would go through their process.

Good thing, bad thing useless thing, I'm not sure?
Old 16-06-11, 11:00 PM   #4
DJFridge

Where did you spot that Idle? I'm in Sussex and haven't seen anything about it (also an ex-Londoner but that's another story!). I think my biggest problem would be remembering the numberplate long enough to report it - I have enough trouble remembering my own!

600+, I think it's a disgrace that we live in a society where "snitching" is sometimes the only option. I'm not a big guy, I'm not particularly handy with my fists and I don't carry weapons around with me. The sort of nutter round our way who drives dangerously is precisely the sort of psycho who wouldn't understand your surprise at being stabbed for just suggesting his driving was a bit iffy.

On balance, Idle, probably a good thing but I kind of agree with 600+ in that it's a shame we need it.
Old 17-06-11, 05:20 AM   #5
metalangel

I saw a similar thing posted in the comments section of another motoring site. The commenter said 'report what they did to the police'. I posted a response saying I'd seen them going double the speed limit past a school and running a red light, adding I had as much evidence (my own claim) that they'd have of anyone else they went to report. (the moderators decided not to approve this comment)

You just might not like someone, and set out to ruin their life by reporting a bunch of phony offenses they've supposedly committed.
Old 17-06-11, 06:06 AM   #6
Specialone

Tbh, I see both sides, but what about if you live down a quiet road where kids play or whatever and a young resident keeps doing excessive speeds down the road, making noise etc, a couple of complaints just might see the police give him a talking to and calm him down a bit before he takes someone out?

Just think if nobody complained and he killed someone as a result of his behaviour going unchecked or unchallenged, not snitching in this scenario IMO, simple accident prevention.

Why should c0cks get away it? A lot of these people who do anti social stuff like this normally have other things to hide like no insurance, no MOT or no license etc.
Old 17-06-11, 08:44 AM   #7
metalangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Tbh, I see both sides, but what about if you live down a quiet road where kids play or whatever and a young resident keeps doing excessive speeds down the road, making noise etc, a couple of complaints just might see the police give him a talking to and calm him down a bit before he takes someone out?

Just think if nobody complained and he killed someone as a result of his behaviour going unchecked or unchallenged, not snitching in this scenario IMO, simple accident prevention.

Why should c0cks get away it? A lot of these people who do anti social stuff like this normally have other things to hide like no insurance, no MOT or no license etc.
But the flipside, as I said above, is what if my Victor Meldrew c0ck neighbour (who doesn't like me parking, legally I might add, on the street) figures since I'm not doing anything wrong he can get me for there, starts claiming that I'm doing handbrake turns and driving too fast down the street etc etc. If the police come around, what's the point, it's my word against his.

It's not far off that other bit of legislation where if someone took exception to the noise your bike made (even if it had a legal can on it) you ran the risk of it being impounded.

That you can now just do it over the internet makes it far more open to abuse. It's one thing to take the time to contact the police in person or by phone, it's no trouble at all to just fill a stupid online form in and make up any old bullox.

Granted, if they had multiple complaints from different people about the same incidents, that might be something, but that again could just be Victor Meldrew's mates (yes, he doesn't have any) all conspiring together to 'get' someone they object to.
Old 17-06-11, 08:52 AM   #8
AndyBrad

good idea imo. would love to tell somone about my boss that does 90mph in 30's ! shame its not up here
Old 17-06-11, 08:55 AM   #9
Specialone

But without evidence police can't do squatt anyway, what they will do if suspicious is look more into gaining evidence if they think the allegations might be true.
Sometimes just having the police come to your door, if you know you've been behaving like a c0ck then it might be enough for you to think and change maybe.
Anything like this is open to abuse, but the police service wouldn't get much done in general without public information.

Last edited by Specialone; 17-06-11 at 08:56 AM.
Old 17-06-11, 09:00 AM   #10
metalangel

Oh, I agree we need to tell the police about problems, this just seems to be crossing the line from saying 'we have a problem with chavs driving fast down the street' or 'people going to the corner shop park and cause obstructions' to 'a guy in a green 206 registration OY04 XRR cut me up on the A4232 yesterday, I'm sure he was doing 85mph too and his tires were bald and he was texting with one hand, beating his children with an open liquor bottle held in the other and smoking a huge spliff. GO GET HIM.'