SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-05-18, 10:15 PM   #1
netsurfer

Default Rust in brake lines / K1 Wakeup after 10 years

Continuing the process of waking my k1 SV650 up after 10 years in storage.

While waiting for some workshop supplies to arrive, I decided to take the brake lines off as there was a buildup of rusty slime on the banjos and bolts as a result of water in the brake fluid.

Having gotten them cleaned, decided to strip the whole brake system and sure enough the other hoses had a buildup of rust in them too.

Was thinking of blowing them out with compressed air - any thoughts if this will be enough to get all the crap out of them?

Front master cylinder seems to be seized, going to have a go at stripping it tomorrow.

Last edited by netsurfer; 09-05-18 at 09:03 AM.
netsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-18, 06:40 AM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Rust in brake lines

You might be safer buying new braided hoses, rather than trying to clean out the old lines. The problem is, you can't easily see if there's any rusty crud left in the lines, even after blowing them through with an airline.

I'm not sure if there are any solvents you can use either (I have a dim memory that methylated spirit can be used to flush brake systems through, but please don't take my word for it).
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-18, 06:59 AM   #3
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I'm with Craig380.Brakes are the only thing between you and the Headstone.Get new lines.

My 10 penn'th.
Old 09-05-18, 07:21 AM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Don't try and fanny on. Replace the lines, master cylinder internals and the brake seals and boots.

It's your safety at the end of the day

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-18, 07:43 AM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

SV K1? Are they the original 17 year old lines?
If so I think your question answers itself. Get new ones.
Old 09-05-18, 08:08 AM   #6
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Also pull apart EVERY electrical connector and check and clean any corrosion.I do mine once every two years and use Switch cleaner

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/eng...-cleaner-400ml

and then treat with ACF50

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm

especially the the Main HT connector to the Regulator/Rectifier.

People often overlook servicing electrical connections but they are just a important as any other part of servicing and especially on motorcycles that have been left unused for a long time as the contacts suffer from corrosion.
Old 09-05-18, 09:02 AM   #7
netsurfer

Default Re: Rust in brake lines / K1 Wakeup after 10 years

Thanks guys!

Was trying to keep the costs down as I may need to rebuild/replace the forks which wont be cheap. They most likely are the originals though so I best bite the bullet and replace them! Any recommendations? High performance or fancy looks are not requirements

I had noticed a bit of corrosion on one of the electrical connectors in the under-tank area - will give them all a good going over before startup.

Unfortunately there were a few things which went against me when I parked the bike up, 1) I didn't think it would be off the road for so long so didn't give it a good clean and oiling and 2) I covered it to keep the dust off but the cover seems to have encouraged the rusting process.

The exhaust header bolts seem to be the biggest victim, hoping I don't need to take those out as one or two of them appear to have corroded away so badly that there is no doubt they will break off.

Subframe appears to be very rough in places too, until I get it out I don't know if I can salvage it!

Was hoping to upload some photos but still haven't been able to.

Cheers
Pete
netsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-18, 08:05 PM   #8
Tamsen Cooper

I agree with all the above, replace them for sure, anything that could compromise bringing the bike to a stop quickly should be avoided! I understand there is a cost element but very well worth it.

I have done a couple of videos on brakes, my channel is in my signature if that helps. I installed Hel brake lines which were great, as an alternative, another great British brand Venhill have given me a full set front and rear to do a video on, and I must say, they look really good.

Fork rebuilds are getting closer to the top of my list... I have seen a rebuild kit (seals, dust cover, new bushes etc) online for £40 + 2 bottles of fork oil for £15 so £55 total.
Tamsen Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-18, 09:08 PM   #9
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Word of warning.Fitting none standard brake lines without certification e.g steel braided outers are considered an,"Upgrade" and anyone considering this should contact their Insurance company before fitting them to make sure they are covered under their,"Terms and Conditions" otherwise it can invalidate the Insurance.

This may seem petty but it's not.In the event of an accident and an Insurance assessor can find anything to save the Company money,they will.It's part of their job.

Worse case scenario a 3rd part is injured.All hospital bills that may have been covered under a valid insurance are not paid and could lead to financial ruin for the holder of the policy.

I'm not,"Scaremongering" just laying out what has happened to some.

If in doubt,check with the insurance company.A few extra quid now can save a lot of grief later
Old 10-05-18, 11:52 PM   #10
Tamsen Cooper

A friend of mine had an accident on his gsx and the whole front end was damaged. They didn’t pay out as he had an aftermarket exhaust fitted, therefore it was an undisclosed modification so he got the whole bill!! I was not aware of mods like brake hoses coming under this as whilst exhaust may affect performance (increase in horsepower etc) brake line do not... made me think about making a phone call to check unless anyone else on here has done that already?
Tamsen Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote