SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-09-13, 03:31 PM   #71
L3nny
Mega Poster

Default Re: Re: Test ride challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by orose View Post
Is using standard unleaded a downside? Super is at least 98RON, so you're probably confusing it like I did saying premium in the manual over regular, but the numbers suggest that they mean poor grade fuel when they talk about regular (91RON or less).
Oh yes. My mistake. Got my RON mixed up

I agree with pretty much everything Scoobs said. The S1000rr is an immense bike, I have ridden a Fireblade and an R1 and it's way ahead of these. The only thing I'd disagree on would be the quick shifter. Maybe I wasn't using it right but I found a bit of a bang when changing up, I ended up using the clutch instead mostly.

Last edited by L3nny; 28-09-13 at 03:39 PM.
L3nny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-13, 03:57 PM   #72
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: Test ride challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by orose View Post
Is using standard unleaded a downside? Super is at least 98RON, so you're probably confusing it like I did saying premium in the manual over regular, but the numbers suggest that they mean poor grade fuel when they talk about regular (91RON or less).
To add to Ollies post.

Manufacturers design the engines to use the lowest RON fuel (Normally 91 RON unleaded for the US market), so it doesn't cause any damage.
The European market uses 95 RON (premium Unleaded) in the most part so we get a revised fuelling map and normally one or two more BHP through the increased energy available.

IIRC the curvies were tuned to run 91 RON and we got a revised carb set-up to run Unleaded

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-13, 11:46 PM   #73
Runako

That's why Pointy's re the best
Old 30-09-13, 08:53 PM   #74
ophic
Mega Poster

I thought you were going to compare a modern busa! As you point out, the old model is a bit, well, old.
Old 30-09-13, 09:34 PM   #75
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
I thought you were going to compare a modern busa! As you point out, the old model is a bit, well, old.
Purely in the interest of science I will see if I can get a ride on a newer one. The things I do for you lot
Old 07-10-14, 08:19 PM   #76
L3nny
Mega Poster

Test 16 - 2014 VFR 800 - 8 Miles Total Mileage 426

It's been a while since I've done a test ride, I bought a Fireblade back in April and nothing has tempted me to ride anything else.......until now!

My previous bike was the old VFR800, it was an awesome bike, in many ways it is far superior to the Fireblade, and in my unskilled hands, on crappy British roads probably faster. However buying motorcycles isn't about what's the best or what's the most practical it's about buying with your heart and falling in love so while the VFR was everything I'd ever need from a bike, it just didn't set my pulse racing like the Fireblade does.

Anyway, to the test. I wasn't even planning on taking it out, I had actually gone to look at a BMW 650GS for my other half, but when we saw it, it was in a bit of a sorry state. Parked next to it however was a new VFR demonstrator, I asked the dealer about it and he pretty much forced me to test ride it. Leaving the OH sat waiting in the car I was mindful I shouldn't take too long, hence the lack of mileage.

So the bike, well it felt a lot like the previous generation VFR, comfortable, perfect (for me anyway) riding position, lovely V4 engine and a real quality feel to it.

The new VFR has, as standard, heated grips, ABS and traction control, it also has a fancier dash than the old one. The looks are in a different league than the old shape, it's not the best looking bike ever made but it's definitely good looking. The double seat (which has useful storage under the pillion section unlike the old shape) makes it look a lot sportier and the wheels and SSSA make the back end look nice but the RWU forks are a bit old fashioned looking.

On the road, the new VFR performs pretty much like the old one, VTEC is still there, which IMO is pointless the step is a lot smoother but if they's just fitted it with a standard IL4 1000cc it would be so much better.
Handling wise it's easier to ride than the old VFR it feels lighter and the steering is quicker making it easier to flick about.

I would definitely consider buying one of these if I were in the market for another sports tourer the only thing that puts me off is the price. With full luggage you're looking at over 12 grand which is way too much for a bike like this. The Z1000SX and GSX1250F are just as capable and a lot cheaper.

Forgot to take pictures so here is a press shot

Old 08-10-14, 10:14 AM   #77
SvNewbie

I had a test ride on the VFR800i a week or so ago. I agree with most of what you said. Riding that bike is an extremely nice place to be. Very quiet at motorway speeds, good protection from the wind and very comfortable seating position.

The suspension is obviously much better than the SV even though it's clearly not state of the art. It felt very composed and totally neutral when leaned into a turn.

I did find the engine a bit boring though. After I got the hang of keeping it revving it wasn't too bad but still not nearly as fun around town as the immediate torque of the SV.
Old 08-10-14, 08:28 PM   #78
L3nny
Mega Poster

Your SV must be a good one then. To me both this and the older version felt quicker than an SV all through the rev range
Old 10-10-14, 01:18 AM   #79
Heorot

I had a test ride on the new VFR800 earlier this year. My gripe was that the ride at 30 - 40 mph on the roads leading out of Norwich was really uncomfortable. Jiggly and bouncy and I was not a happy bunny. On the dual carriageway, I found it hugely competent at silly speeds but there was no excitement. Competent, yes. Boring, also yes.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 08:26 AM   #80
Niall_farley

Default Test ride challenge

Just had a read thru. Very good read, thoroughly enjoyed it and Surprised by a few of your views on some of the bikes. I might have to do something like this myself.

Next read... Squirrels
Niall_farley is offline   Reply With Quote