SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-02-09, 04:45 PM   #1
TheStudent

Default Adjusting a Curvy Hagon Rear Shock

Bought mine of eBay about a month of so ago for £175 second hand, but it hasn't come with any leaflets etc, so I have no idea if it is set right for me or not? What to do...
Old 02-02-09, 04:53 PM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Adjusting a Curvy Hagon Rear Shock

first things first, you need to set up the "sag", which is done by twiddling the preload adjuster; measuring from a fixed point on the seat unit to a fixed point on the swingarm, measure the length of the suspension when the rear isnt loaded, then when the bike is on the sidestand - infact, it tells you here http://www.triumphnet.com/st/acc/racetech/setup.htm. then, i think its wise to set the damping adjustment to the middle (work out how this is by widning it right in, then right out, counting the number of turns, then get to the middle by doing half the turns on the adjuster). Damping is probably best sorted by going for a ride on a familier peice of road to you, then stopping and thinking about what the bike is doing and adjusting accordingly - there are many explanations on the internet of how rebound and compresion damping work and what they are for

and also, someone will be along to tell you everyhting you need to know. and then you'll note how this thread drones on and on for ages and ages about the intricaces of suspension set up and why you get what you pay for in most instances with suspension

Matt
Old 02-02-09, 05:47 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

ASH the measurement on the sidestand is not considered in setting sag. It can be useful to tell you the unloaded length, but not always as not all bikes totally unload when on the stand!

Hagons a bit of a cop-out because they don't split rebound and compression damping, there's only one adjuster.
Old 02-02-09, 05:50 PM   #4
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
ASH the measurement on the sidestand is not considered in setting sag. It can be useful to tell you the unloaded length, but not always as not all bikes totally unload when on the stand!

Hagons a bit of a cop-out because they don't split rebound and compression damping, there's only one adjuster.
ah, gotcha, so you have to have an unloaded bike (rear wheel off ground) and then sitting on the bike?
Old 02-02-09, 06:03 PM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Important things are extended length. Compression with weight of bike alone, and compression with bike + rider
Old 25-02-09, 04:12 PM   #6
TheStudent

Hold on a sec, just come to fit the shock, all I have is the actual shock itself, no new nuts or bolts, and the fork end of the shock, unlike the standard, has a larger hole at one end, do I need some kind of washer here?

New thread... http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...98#post1797998

Thanks

Last edited by TheStudent; 25-02-09 at 06:00 PM.
Old 21-06-09, 10:03 AM   #7
TheStudent

To continue this, I'm finding this a little complicated. So my Hagon shock only has one method of adjustment yeah...
  • Meaure the distance vertically from where to where?
  • Firstly with me sitting on the bike.
  • Then with the bike on the stand, rear wheel hanging.
  • Then what?
Old 22-06-09, 08:44 AM   #8
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Bring it to one of the Border Patrol meets at Kelsall, one of us will show you how to set up the sag. There is meant to be a meet 1st July but a fair few of us will be in Scotland for the GMII rideout, so best to check in the Border Patrol section to see if anyone is going.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote