SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: Would you trust a helmet in the post, not packed in foam?
Yes 8 26.67%
No 22 73.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-06, 04:54 PM   #11
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
It's true what he says about matt black lids marking easily. A few stores I've spoken to have cited that as a reason for not stocking them. I've got a matt black caberg v2.
Hmm... I can understand the lack of the protective lacquer layer, but I'd say it greatly depends on the helmet (make) itself; I've got two matt black helmets, a Caberg Brutus (which is more of a matt dark gray with go faster stripes) and a Roof Boxer, between them they have about a year of daily riding and they both look mint (except for a little scratch on the Boxer's visor - close encounter with a not so smoothly finished wall ).
Old 04-04-06, 06:23 PM   #12
andy

Thanks for the replies guys, I really want to keep it and I am not bothered about the scratch - I just cannot forget about the unknown journeys in backs of vans with ****ed off couriers inside a flimsy box! Sods law says is will be one of them who makes me test out the helmets integrity

I have looked and looked at the top of the helmet (the only place it is really likely to have had a hit) and I cannot see a mark or ripple or anything on it - but, if the safety was compromised, would I see anything?

I suppose I am really surprised that it seems the norm to post them without much protection - maybe they just dont need it?

At least it fits well and looks good (in my opinion anyway!)
Old 04-04-06, 06:31 PM   #13
mynameis

How do you think the one's in the shops are delivered, whats to say they have n't been dropped on route?
Old 05-04-06, 07:40 AM   #14
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
How do you think the one's in the shops are delivered, whats to say they have n't been dropped on route?
Never really thought, but I would assume a lot would be delivered at once and therefore the courier would at least know to be careful - mine did not even have fragile on the box.

If manufacturers are so insistant on replacing the helmet in the event of an impact surely they should be far better protected in transit as an impact may never even be known about.

Maybe it is just me........
Old 06-04-06, 12:44 PM   #15
andy

No, it is official, it is not me!

After a number of non commital emails from the importer, I finally got to talk to them on the phone.

Very interesting.

He admitted that I had uncovered an important safety issue in their transport procedures and were taking immediate action with the manufacturer to rectify (basically better padded boxes and bags).

I am not sure if I believe him about the better packaging in the future, but you never know.........

He also has arranged for mine to be independently X-ray'd and certified at their expense with an ACU approved testing house.

I also cannot believe that nobody else working in the importers or manufacturers have had this concern - it seems so obvious to me (and anyone else with a brain?)

First and last time I buy a helmet online.........
Old 06-04-06, 01:16 PM   #16
jonboy

TBH I thnk that's a bit of a result, them paying for an X-ray and all, good for you.

Old 06-04-06, 01:18 PM   #17
andy

Only what is needed - they are the negligent ones.

Wouldnt it be interesting if it failed.........
Old 07-04-06, 09:11 AM   #18
SV650Racer

The Shoei Raid 2 in Matt black doesnt mark easily.

When we post out helmets i always stuff the helmet box full of bubble wrap and then place it inside another box with a layer of plastic bags around it.

TBH it is always best when you can to purchase from a shop although in this case you couldnt.

Reasons being you can check the helmet prior to purchase for any defects.
You can ensure the fit is correct as not all helmets fit the same.
You are then assured that it hasnt been bounced around the back of a transit van..BUT as helmets are delivered to shops by courier you can always be assured that this hasnt happened.
Old 07-04-06, 09:13 AM   #19
JakeRS

I would say dont do it, the helmet I bought off the internet (takachi TK100) was absolute sh*te in my accident, when the strap actually managed to loosen meaning the lid came off my head leaving me to smash my head on the floor and do biiiiig damage...

I wouldnt do it...
Old 07-04-06, 09:41 AM   #20
SV650Racer

I suspect your strap loosening has nothing to do with how Andy's lid will fair.

Why did the strap come loose?. Was it a double D strap or seat belt buckle type. Not hooked in properly on the adjustment strap?.

TBH any helmet made in China isnt worth it. Takachi to name one of them.

In some cases your better off spending that little bit more.

I race and wouldnt put my head in a Takachi for racing. IMHO of course