SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: Would you trust a helmet in the post, not packed in foam?
Yes 8 26.67%
No 22 73.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-06, 09:52 AM   #21
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650Racer
TBH any helmet made in China isnt worth it. Takachi to name one of them.
During my discussion with the importer, they told me that my helmet is now made in China - it used to be made in Europe.

Mine is a mid range helmet, not a cheapy, and I expressed concern that it was now made in China, I was told it is only the plastic ones that are a problem - no idea how true that is.

I am going to write a letter to MCN highlighting this issue (that of poor packing and transport procedures) as I think it is pretty important - not becuase of my case but because of the hundereds or thousands of other unsuspecting helmet users.

I used to work at PIRA (The Packaging Industry Research Assoc) who do package testing and design for many multinationals and small companies. Gillette took far more care over the packaging of their disposable razors to ensure they arrive in top condition than it seems most helmet manufacturers do with an item that should not be subjected to impacts by their own rules - that is simply wrong.

I am uncertain whether to name and shame - I cannot make my mind up if it is fair or not as I doubt they are the only ones.
Old 07-04-06, 10:13 AM   #22
SV650Racer

naming and shaming wont do much good i am afraid.

The problem with items being made in china is due to the fact that they are now made there because costs are lower. Quality control is also less.

When it comes to your head its a very important decision when it comes to buying a helmet.

You need to know that its been made by a company that dedicates itself to continuos testing, strict quality control measures and doesnt scrimp on costs to make a bigger profit. Id always suggest to buy the best you can and always advise my customers of that alongside Fit being the most important criteria.

Obviously some people cant afford £300 plus but remember it should last you a good few years and miles, be comfy, fit well, last well and have a good back up to come with it.

I have hit my head hard in a fair few crashes now so understand how important this all is.

You only have one head so look after it.
Old 07-04-06, 10:22 AM   #23
Moo

No would never buy a helmet online.
Old 07-04-06, 11:20 PM   #24
jkchops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
I only ever got one helmet in the post and it was packaged just as you describe.

However mine was a freebie for subscribing to TWO magazine so i really wasnt bother about how a FREE lid was packaged.

TBH, i wouldnt worry too much about it and i sure as hell would not pay to return it for a 10mm scratch, unless the scratch was all the way to the base of the lid and therefor stood out a lot.

Just mho
I did the same thing with getting the free TWO helmet and agree exactly with what you are saying about returning the helmet with a relatively small scratch.

I would do what you are doing though in that i would complain to see what they say and what they would do. If they dont sort it out as what you see fair then i would shame then, not order from them again and make sure they know you will be tellling others about this 'bad' incident with your helmet.
Old 07-04-06, 11:43 PM   #25
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo
No would never buy a helmet online.
Same here. 99% of the helmet retailers state that once the helmet has left their premises it can not be exchanged due to the fact they do not know what has happened to that helmet.
Old 08-04-06, 07:08 AM   #26
Peter Henry

I have to go with the general consensus of buying a helmet in a shop rather than online. The internet is a usefull tool for many purchases but not to my mind for something as vital as a crash helmet.

Mark my words that there will come a day when people will be saying..."Why is there no place that I can walk in to and look at the products I want to buy.Maybe ask an assistant for their advice etc?" All of that will be too late as retail outlets may well have given up the ghost of competing with online sellers that carry minimal over heads.

Just my personal opinion of course.
Old 08-04-06, 08:36 PM   #27
mburnstead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
I have to go with the general consensus of buying a helmet in a shop rather than online. The internet is a usefull tool for many purchases but not to my mind for something as vital as a crash helmet.
I bought mine online (in fact, from an eBay store!) after trying a few on whilst at a bike show without my wallet (dumbass! )

But I know my head is a perfect fit for a Shoei size M helmet, and having tried on at the show the XR-1000 I ended up getting from eBay, I did at least know the fit wasn't going to be an issue.

People's experiences may vary of course, but my lid turned up in perfect condition and well packed, and at £209 delivered, was about £100 cheaper than a shop price. So since I knew it was going to fit perfectly, the saving was well worth it.
Old 23-05-06, 06:15 PM   #28
andy

I thought I would post the final outcome to this, I will keep it short.

Basically they picked up the helmet to xray it and promised it will be done in 2 weeks. After 3 weeks I phoned them and asked where it was. They said it was just on its way back to me (coincidental - yeh right). So I asked if it has passed and had its certificate, yes was the reply. The next day I got an email telling me that they had even better news and that was that they had managed to source me another helmet. The other helmet arrived and it definately was not the one I sent them (remember this is a difficult to get in this country colour). So I wonder what happened to the original (possibly unsafe) helmet and I wonder if they even did xray it?

Bloody dodgy liars, and the worst thing is that they are possibly playing with peoples lives......
Old 23-05-06, 07:54 PM   #29
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

They probably dropped it while doing the Xray.
I've just bought a lid online and it arrived today.Went to the BMF on Sunday and my boy was looking for a lid.He wanted a Shoei X spirit but struggles with the £480 RRP,so we tried to get one of last year's paint schemes but I thought prices were high.Having bought mine for £300 at the NEC we decided to use the same shop (Helmet City) via the net.£300 +£10 P&P.It arrived by courier today and is perfect.Packaging was like yours,with lid in own box and bag all in an outer cardboard box.
Old 23-05-06, 09:23 PM   #30
BigDog

If it is new why has it been taken out of the box ?

I also have a matt black caberg V2 and also a silver one, the silver one was bought on-line and it was packaged with polystyrene wedges it was also unopened as it should be.