SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 31-12-06, 08:57 AM   #1
furrybean

Default Planning Permission

Do you need planning permission for a single skin garage?

I'm buying a barn with the view to convert it but its in an area of ONB but luckily just outside the Greenbelt and Peak Park. Its proving to be a pain to get planning to convert it to resedential and havent even thought of where I'd keep my bike.
Old 31-12-06, 09:45 AM   #2
valleyboy

I'd say yes you do need planning permisson.. there arent many things you can put up without planning permission, the only things you can are sheds, only up to certain sizes, and conservatories, again, only up to certain sizes.... and most things with a glass roof... again, size counts there as well, different councils will have differnt quotas, and its mainly by floor size... usualy, anything thats classed as a temporary structure wont need planning permssion... a garage isnt classed as temporary, unless its one of those pre-built buggers you stick together with nuts and bolts... again, due to your location, I would seriously suggest having a word with the planning department, as they can and WILL make you take something down if they didnt concent to it..
Old 31-12-06, 10:31 AM   #3
kwak zzr

the garage my cousin just had built didnt need planning permission because it was more than 5m away from the property and didnt exceed 3m high, and that thing is 20 x 10 best ring your local council as they may be different.
Old 31-12-06, 12:40 PM   #4
skint

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyboy
I'd say yes you do need planning permisson.. there arent many things you can put up without planning permission, the only things you can are sheds, only up to certain sizes, and conservatories, again, only up to certain sizes.... and most things with a glass roof... again, size counts there as well, different councils will have differnt quotas, and its mainly by floor size... usualy, anything thats classed as a temporary structure wont need planning permssion... a garage isnt classed as temporary, unless its one of those pre-built buggers you stick together with nuts and bolts... again, due to your location, I would seriously suggest having a word with the planning department, as they can and WILL make you take something down if they didnt concent to it..
I think you're getting mixed up with Building Regulations. Planning permission and building regulations are totally different issues. This subject has been posted recently to which I did a reply.

Send me a PM furrybean and I'll reply when I'm back at work with details (Jan 2nd)... Let me know the size of the garage you want and dimensions in relation to site boundaries and whether it is in front of or behind the house etc. In planning terms it makes a difference, also where public footpaths and roads are.

Possible that you won't need either planning or building regs.
Old 31-12-06, 01:08 PM   #5
furrybean

Thats great cheers, ill PM you after New Year.
Old 31-12-06, 01:44 PM   #6
wheelnut

Does it make a difference if the building has doors or not?

Although a bike shed without doors is a bit like the ashtray on my chocolate fireguard
Old 31-12-06, 01:47 PM   #7
furrybean

But at least it would be dry. What about a Carport kinda thing. Are they still temporary structures?
Old 31-12-06, 01:51 PM   #8
kwak zzr

id say anythings better than nowt i had a 10 x 8 shed at my old house which made a great bike house.
Old 31-12-06, 03:05 PM   #9
skint

Have a look here in the meantime...

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/