SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2007 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2007 SV650.org's bigger & better annual rideout.

Closed Thread

Old 26-06-07, 02:45 PM   #11
rigor

Default Re: The Last word (AE07)

A side stand puck is basically a thick(ish) bit of plastic that you put under the bottom of your side stand to stop it sinking into soft ground. Anything the right size and toughness will do (hence suggestions of crushed beer cans and pieces of wood). Basically it spreads the load from the weight of the bike over a larger area.

Old 26-06-07, 05:52 PM   #12
TEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Hence me bringing wood
You know something, I suspect you may be the only person smiling the next day

Pucks are all well and good but a bit of strong 6"x6" plank will be a whole lot better considering the amount of water you may find in the field

Guess someones going to ask if its flooded before you all arrive
Old 26-06-07, 07:02 PM   #13
northwind
Mega Poster

Yeah, I have a Cunning Plan in case it's too wet for pucks. But most campsites are well drained, and many have hard standings available if the surface really is bad. If it's as wet as some expect (and I very much doubt it tbh) then two things come to mind. One is that I'll be more worried about camping in a lake than whether my bike falls over, and the other is that if you pop in your mirrors, it probably won't matter if your bike falls over, since chances are it'll just get muddy and maybe break indicators and levers. Unless it falls on you while you sleep and kills you instantly of course.

I shall add another note to the general sensible suggestions, slightly pessimistic this one, but- if you have spare levers and puncture repair kits, it is wise to bring them. You can tape stuff like this securely inside fairings if you're suitably careful, so they take up no space at all but riding home with no front brake would kind of suck, and it really doesn't take much to snap one off. Hope for an upright weekend but plan for a crash, is my advice Trust one who knows!

I've got some curvy spares left over so I plan to bring whatever I can find as well as my own, but don't rely on it. Also, duck tape- the small rolls you can buy in camping shops- is a great thing to have, it fixes tents, it's brilliant for fairings, you can use it to protect fairings from bungees or even to tape on or waterproof luggage, and it can be pressed into service as insulating tape, or to attach a small rock to a gear lever to replace a toe section, all sorts of things. Duck tape is brilliant, it's not the best at any one thhing but it's OK at everything, and these rolls are really small

Also, spare gloves- everyone knows to bring waterproofs, right? RIGHT? But gloves get wet too, and there'll be no radiators, so, bring a spare pair.

I shall have the jump leads

This may be overpessimistic, but it could be the difference between ruining your weekend by dropping the bike in the car park or in the campsite, and not. I prefer Not.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
Old 26-06-07, 07:34 PM   #14
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

do you think Northy likes Duck tape?

this has turned into a thread Rictus!

I would add..

surgical gloves..!

tesco sell them in a packet of 10 ..

ideal for under gloves if cold or wet and under already wet gloves- a dry hand is a warm hand.

see you all there.
Old 26-06-07, 07:50 PM   #15
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by melody View Post
What on earth is a side stand puck ?
In my day they were the lids from Golden Virginia baccy tins. Do they still exist?

Old 26-06-07, 08:52 PM   #16
melody

I'm getting worried now. All this talk of what could potentially go wrong

I'm now anticipating my bike falling over (side stand puck or not), my front brake lever snapping off, my indicators snapping off, a punctured tyre, soaked hands, wet clothing and watery bed to go to after the end of a long windy route in the Dales.

But wait......I'm booked into a B&B , so a warm and dry bed for me

And as for everything else, I'll just play the damsel in distress.

Bring it on I say

Melody

Old 26-06-07, 09:22 PM   #17
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

B&B?

Cheat!
Old 26-06-07, 09:38 PM   #18
BILLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by melody View Post
I'm getting worried now. All this talk of what could potentially go wrong

I'm now anticipating my bike falling over (side stand puck or not), my front brake lever snapping off, my indicators snapping off, a punctured tyre, soaked hands, wet clothing and watery bed to go to after the end of a long windy route in the Dales.

But wait......I'm booked into a B&B , so a warm and dry bed for me

And as for everything else, I'll just play the damsel in distress.

Bring it on I say

Melody
I wouldn't brag about the B+B to much cause if it's ****ing it down you might have 20 od wet bikers squezing into bed with you

Old 26-06-07, 10:06 PM   #19
Jester666

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLY View Post
I wouldn't brag about the B+B to much cause if it's ****ing it down you might have 60 odd wet bikers squeezing into bed with you
Can't wait!!!

Old 26-06-07, 10:49 PM   #20
hovis

room for a little one?

Closed Thread