SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-04-06, 07:01 PM   #1
ridelikaking

Default Had my first & hopefully last off today!!

Riding to work this morning, dry road, on my K5 new and in prestine condition since Nov 05.

Went around a car going left, at approx 15-20 mph, still onmy side of road o/s of Belsize Par tube station, London.

Then.....

some **** in a Porshce makes an immediate right turn to fill an empty space on the opposite side of road, o/s a coffee shop.

I brake but move to right on wrong side of road to aviod ploughing into side on him, an dam front wheel goes fron underneath me.

A slide for approx 5 meters or so, I think? and bike comes to a halt next to parked car.

**** in car finishes parking, leaving me to come to my senses and pick bike up (realising how heavy the bike is whenon its side!)

Move bie to side of road, and only one, yes blody one person approaches me and asks if I am ok, a woman on hr way to work.

Even though street was packed.

Anyway, ended up with pulled muscle i left shoulder and badly (very very painful) and swollen sprained right wrist.

Sprisingly, thankfully, the bike was relatively unscathed, apart from scuff and loss of paint on upper fairing, scuffed and bent rear brake pedal and brake lever. I think the exhaist saved the day, as there is a scrape on the bit where the silencer meets the downpipe. Also a scrape to the fron fork.

Helmet scarpped and visor broke, sidi boots have lost most of leather on toes.

The gear definetly saved me.

Alhtough seriousld pi"Łed off, verybgrateful for surviving relatuvely unscathed, especially hearing about the tragic loss of life of a fellow SV Rider the weekend.

Bring it all home and puts it into perspective.
Old 04-04-06, 07:12 PM   #2
Blue_SV650S

Bad luck, but good to hear you and the bike are lagely unschathed and that no other vehicle was involved (i.e. and insurance job)!!

I'd like a Porshce, if I had one I'd OWN the road too
Old 04-04-06, 07:14 PM   #3
jonboy

Sorry to hear this, an easy mistake to make, at least you can live and learn and you're not badly hurt (apart from the obligatory aches and pains) . Sorry about your bike and gear, but it's part of it .

Old 04-04-06, 09:30 PM   #4
Professor

Sorry to hear of your off, ridelikaking.

Reminds me of my encounter with a Porsche 4x4: the idiot driver
started driving on my side of the road, head on (later I realised he
was planning to turn into a side road). Anyway, a second later the
Porsche driver saw me and swerved back onto his side of the road,
but by that time I lost control of the bike. I even had time to think
"here comes my first off". Fortunately, a few seconds later I
managed to regain control. I guess it is something to do with people
who drive Porsches.

At least the damage to you and bike is minimal, so look on the
bright side.
Old 04-04-06, 10:08 PM   #5
lynw

Did you get his details?

Because I would be looking to make a claim against him. Just because you didnt hit him doesnt mean he isnt at fault or shouldnt have to pay.

But glad that you are ok which is the main thing.

Now can we all stop falling off please? This isnt nice reading threads like this on a far too frequent basis.
Old 04-04-06, 10:29 PM   #6
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

I agree with lynw, you may have a claim against him. Get advice on it.

Glad you are ok as well.

This week has not been the nicest of weeks coming so close to the start of summer soon.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-06, 06:26 AM   #7
Peter Henry

Personally I think the idea of a claim is good but possibly full of dangers. You will need to be able to verify the speed of your passing manoeuvre and your observation might be called in to question also.

Not meaning to kick you whilst your down but these things can really go t*ts up without plenty of witnesses to corroborate your story.
Old 05-04-06, 09:12 AM   #8
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
Did you get his details?

Because I would be looking to make a claim against him. Just because you didnt hit him doesnt mean he isnt at fault or shouldnt have to pay.

But glad that you are ok which is the main thing.

Now can we all stop falling off please? This isnt nice reading threads like this on a far too frequent basis.
^ What she said.

I'm in the process of claiming against someone who did something similar to me. Whilst I wish I had just ploughed the bike into him and dived off at the last minute (would certainly simplify the claim ), the outlook does look good and my lawyers are confident we'll win it.
Old 05-04-06, 10:14 AM   #9
DanAbnormal

If you think the Porsche driver was at fault then make a claim. If you think you had something to do with the fault I would leave it as it may only increase your premium. Glad you are ok though. Too many nasty bike accidents lately.
Old 05-04-06, 11:51 AM   #10
TC3

Sorry to hear off your off but you got off lightly. Without witnesses i do not see how you might make a claim as there was no contact and it is hardly likely the driver will own up.