SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-09-06, 07:13 PM   #1
CoolGirl

Default mancunians - recommend me a restaurant in chinatown

post heading says it all

Will be up on Thurs night with one of my consultants - bit of a minefield choosing which one IIRC. and i can't be arsed with researching online.

only criteria is mid-priced, mid-swanky. A bottle of tsing tao to the winner!
Old 19-09-06, 10:31 PM   #2
El Saxo

Don't really know any myself but I'll ask the guys in the office (I work in Mc'r) for you tomorrow...

EDIT - might be worth dropping Stretchie a PM too, he knows the city centre quite well, he only moved down to Bristol recently.
Old 20-09-06, 08:02 AM   #3
Amanda M

Hi Coolgirl.

You won't go wrong with the Yang Sing (34 Princess St, Manchester, M1 4JY
0161 236 2200) , or Little Yang Sing (17 George St, Manchester, M1 4HE 0161 228 7722) . Both are excellent and reasonably priced. There's one on Oxford Street near the Palace theatre which always looks busy and gets good reviews. I can't find their number though! Failing that, there are loads and loads of places in Chinatown.

Alternatively, there's a really good Korean restaurant called the Koreana (40A King Street West, Manchester M3 2WY Tel. 0161 832 4330). That's small, but the food and beer is superb.

Hope this helps!

Amanda
Old 20-09-06, 08:06 AM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

The Yang Sing used to be good, My company used it for entertaining chineese delegations and diplomats, but in recent years it has seriously gone off.

see http://www.sun.com/visitors-info/ben...staurants.html

I have used the New Emporer on George Street a couple of times and never had a complaint.

For my money though, I would suggest you avoid Chinatown and nip down to curry mile at Rusholm. DO NOT use the Sheer Khan, it is poor food, ****e service, expensive and grossly over-rated. But when you have about 20 indian restaurants competing in about 500yards the standards in most are good.
Old 20-09-06, 08:09 AM   #5
Amanda M

I stand corrected
Old 20-09-06, 08:14 AM   #6
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda M
I stand corrected
sorry Amanda, We stopped using them a few years ago, as our guests were telling us that the food was not what they would have expected. A quick search of t'internet also confirms this view.

See here
Old 20-09-06, 08:28 AM   #7
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
For my money though, I would suggest you avoid Chinatown and nip down to curry mile at Rusholm
Great advice, but make sure you park your vehicles on the main road and not in the side streets.

Okay, it's been a few years since I visited Rushhome but I doubt it's changed that much
Old 20-09-06, 08:32 AM   #8
Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
Quote:
For my money though, I would suggest you avoid Chinatown and nip down to curry mile at Rusholm
Great advice, but make sure you park your vehicles on the main road and not in the side streets.

Okay, it's been a few years since I visited Rushhome but I doubt it's changed that much
absolutely correct Jabba - we went there last year and one of our guys had his car smashed up - so if you do go to curry mile be careful
Old 20-09-06, 08:39 AM   #9
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
Quote:

absolutely correct Jabba - we went there last year and one of our guys had his car smashed up - so if you do go to curry mile be careful
I tend to use the car park behind the dreaded Sheer Khan, it costs £3 but you get the money back if you eat in any of the restaurants on that block. I think the Sheer Khan owns them all. At least parking there it is secure, CCTV etc.
Old 20-09-06, 08:44 AM   #10
600+

Little Yang Sing for me!

Went there about 2 weeks ago, food was superb as always