SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 03-05-07, 04:59 PM   #1
weazelz

Default markings on Supercorsa SC's ?

I previously posted this in the Tyres section, but I might get more response here...

I just got a pair of part-worn supercorsa's off ebay. the seller claims them to be SC2 rear (med) & C1 (soft) front. are there any markings on the tyres that I can use verify this?
Old 07-05-07, 08:06 PM   #2
Blue_SV650S

Default Re: markings on Supercorsa SC's ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazelz View Post
I previously posted this in the Tyres section, but I might get more response here...

I just got a pair of part-worn supercorsa's off ebay. the seller claims them to be SC2 rear (med) & C1 (soft) front. are there any markings on the tyres that I can use verify this?
Yes, they literally say SC1 (or SC2) on the sidewall ... IIRC SC1 is a sort of blue colour writing, SC2 is a sorta green colour ... they are pretty blatant if you look all round the wall (both sides) ... if they are not there, then they are prolly road compound ...

Out of interest, how much did you pay!?!?

Here you go ... down the bottom (~7 o-clock) of the tyre in this pic
http://accelerate.main.jp/wanganjin/image/PC310008.JPG

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 07-05-07 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-05-07, 08:53 PM   #3
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
hmm .. can't see anything like that, I was thinking more of something moulded in. I paid ~£65+£10 postage. wouldn't be the end of the world if they're road compound. I'll try the thumbnail test against my current road supercorsa's; maybe see if they ride any different too

they're in pretty good nick, look like they haven't been turned, so I'll get 'em stuck on backwards. you'll probably be horrified at that price, but I had a look in the tyre pile at Lydden & couldn't find anything good
Old 07-05-07, 08:59 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
hmm .. can't see anything like that, I was thinking more of something moulded in. I paid ~£65+£10 postage. they're in pretty good nick, look like they haven't been turned, so I'll get 'em stuck on backwards. you'll probably be horrified at that price, but I had a look in the tyre pile at Lydden & couldn't find anything good
when the tyres are moulded there are colour rings also put round the tyre (treaded area) ... these also state the compound ... bearing in mind yours are part worn so the outside will be scrubbed away, what colour rings can you see in the tread/groves ...

I think the rings are coloured the same as the Labels ...

Else there is a good chance you have been ebay conned and just got a road set

It is possible to get them not badged as SC2/1 on the tyre wall ... but I'd be more likely to presume they were the road variety ...
Old 08-05-07, 12:20 PM   #5
chunkytfg

It's also worth finding out how old they are aswell.

If you look round the edge you will see a couple of moulded boxes with each having 4 numbers in them. the box on the right as you look at it with the numbers the right way up tells you when they are made.

IT will be week followed by year so a box with 3206 in it will mean the tyre was produced in week 32 of 2006. For road compounds i wouldnt bother with anything produced before 2005 but for SC1/2's i wouldnt touch anything made later than mid 2006. especially as you dont know if they have just been used or have they been stood in a garage like that over the winter?
Old 08-05-07, 01:52 PM   #6
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkytfg View Post

Indeed age/date is important too ... as a partworn trackday tyre I'd be happy with 05 or newer unless they had been stored outside or summin!!!

I wouldn't feel happy about useing a partworn 03 or even early 04 however - even as trackday tyre!!!

Are these x-race tyres or x-trackday tyres?? I wouldn’t buy x-trackday tyres as normally they will have been 'cycled' many times already ...

I have taken a bit of a gamble on these:- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pirelli-Superc...QQcmdZViewItem

If they are <=1yr old they are a bargain, if they are 5yrs old then they are a con!!

They should arrive tomorrow, I'll let you know ...

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 08-05-07 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-05-07, 05:10 PM   #7
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkytfg View Post
If you look round the edge you will see a couple of moulded boxes with each having 4 numbers in them. the box on the right as you look at it with the numbers the right way up tells you when they are made.
2105 on the rear; 1405 on the front, so not too bad

I'm suprised that they mould in the manufacturing date, but not the compound

what does the box to the left mean? I have 'F992' on the front & 'F937' on the rear
Old 08-05-07, 06:57 PM   #8
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
2105 on the rear; 1405 on the front, so not too bad

I'm suprised that they mould in the manufacturing date, but not the compound

what does the box to the left mean? I have 'F992' on the front & 'F937' on the rear
That's fine for trackdaying, I have been using tyres that are older than that

I don't think I have EVER bought a tyre that is less than 6 months old (I am talking new tyres now) ... I just can't seem to get hold of them any younger ...

As stated, they do put the compound on them ... in nice colours too!!

Here are the rings I was talking about ... http://i19.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/7e/b1/e8_1_b.JPG they are ALWAYS on the SC# tyres ... note: one blue, one green

No idea what the F992/937 actually means, I could guess, but then so could you

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 08-05-07 at 07:01 PM.