SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-07-07, 03:02 PM   #1
K

Default Am I shrinking, or is everything else getting bigger?

I used to be a size 10 - now size 8 trousers are virtually falling off my bum...

... and ones that are designed to be worn round the waist and not 'meant' to be 'fashionably' (in the loosest sense of the word - and trousers) hanging off my hips.

My shoes used to be a size 6 - now I appear to only take a size 5.

Are manufacturers making things bigger to con folks into thinking they've lost weight...

... or in another ten years will I dissapear into my own socks?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 12-07-07, 03:11 PM   #2
stewie

Default Re: Am I shrinking, or is everything else getting bigger?

Does me bum look big in this ? apparently not anymore
Old 12-07-07, 03:13 PM   #3
Law

Maybe, I saw my mate at the weekend. He's 25 and he told me he's recently outgrown his trainers. after years of staying the same size.
Old 12-07-07, 03:17 PM   #4
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Maybe, I saw my mate at the weekend. He's 25 and he told me he's recently outgrown his trainers. after years of staying the same size.
What - like the same pair? Eeeeuuuuwwww - stinky!
Old 12-07-07, 03:19 PM   #5
Rune

It's just a ploy the companys have to flatter you into buying their clothes. It's called oversizing, I think. It's quite common in the states as far as I know...
Old 12-07-07, 03:21 PM   #6
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

apparently every night while you sleep, you stretch by a couple of inches. As for your waist size,,me thinks you need to eat more pies like me..every shop has a different definition on sizing and can vary dramatically...there has been a recent thing in the news about it
a; because the british woman of today is completely different in size and shape to what statistics are based on from the 1950's
b; our sizin charts are completely different to how they do it in Europe and seeing as though we are all dictated to from there,we as a country are looking towards bringing our sizing rules in line with them

make any sense??
Oh and yes as you get older you shrink in height

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 03:21 PM   #7
Kate Moss

I am shrinking too, i think it's all the rain!! Not that im complaining! Just hope baggy jeans are in fashion someday soon!!
Old 12-07-07, 03:26 PM   #8
wyrdness

Womens clothes sizes vary considerably between different manufacturers. They also change over time, with each size getting gradually bigger.
Mrs Wyrdness is around a size 8. She recently bought a dress made from a 1950's pattern and had to get a size 12, as sizes were much smaller then. When she went for a job interview recently, she complained that her size 6 interview suit was feeling a bit tight, but sometimes finds that a size 10 fits better than an 8.
There are proposals to standardise womens clothing based on actual measurements, rather than unstandardised and very variable size numbers.
Old 12-07-07, 03:27 PM   #9
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune View Post
It's just a ploy the companys have to flatter you into buying their clothes. It's called oversizing, I think. It's quite common in the states as far as I know...
This is also the exact same reason that different shops in the UK, you buy the same size clothes, they don't fit the same.

I'm sure all the women on the org will know that in some shops, they're a given size (lets say as per the example given, a 10), and in another shop, another size (say, .
Old 12-07-07, 03:28 PM   #10
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
apparently every night while you sleep, you stretch by a couple of inches.
Cool - so if I manage to get my left leg to so to sleep will it wake up the same length as my right one? That would be handy.

I can actually compare my old pair of cheapass Tesco Jeans that were a size 10 (two years ago) and really comfy... but have now died a death - so I go and replace them with another pair of cheapass Tesco Jeans = now a size 8 and a bit baggy.

*sigh* I may as well face it - I'm shrinking and going to end my life as that mad old crone living in a shoe.