SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 11-04-11, 11:53 AM   #21
AndyBrad

Default Re: Michelin Pilot Road 3's

i dont have them but i am expecting them to be fast wearing. On the test they said something along the lines of "we subjected them to 700 miles of hard use" and they were wearing faster than the competitors!
Old 11-04-11, 01:13 PM   #22
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Same would be said of Avon Storms, which have an alarming wear rate when pushed hard IME. Hence my comment of what are they like in the real world, long term use by 'normal' bikers.

Please PR3 users, let us know how they are going.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-11, 08:09 PM   #23
metalhead19

Still no update on these?
Old 26-04-11, 06:33 PM   #24
toxic

Soon I reckon...
Old 26-04-11, 08:34 PM   #25
-Ralph-

Getting a set of these fitted to loose wheels next Tuesday for £235. That's for a 190/55 rear and a 120/70 front for a Daytona 955i single sided swing arm with the 6" rim. Decided not to go down to a 180 section as the rim is not ideal, and apparently the steep profile of the 55 section, compared to the standard 50 section, gives the same handling benefits as a narrower tyre, but maintains the stability of the larger tyre, all with a tyre size that was designed for a 6" rim. Means I'll likely never get rid of the chicken strips, but who cares.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 26-04-11 at 08:39 PM.
Old 26-04-11, 09:24 PM   #26
Specialone

Be interested to see how you get on with these Col, im gonna need some new boots before my france trip in september.

My slipstones 020's have 3700 miles on atm so im guessing no more than 1k more and im gonna do 400 this weekend more than likely.
Old 26-04-11, 09:57 PM   #27
natcar

Cant comment on wear but grip is very good in the wet or dry. Recently replaced conti road attacks- they had some tread but still tended to spin up a bit even when being reasonably cautious in damp conditions or over painted lines etc but have not had any issues with the PR3, dont have to worry too much about the road surface.
Old 26-04-11, 10:10 PM   #28
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Be interested to see how you get on with these Col, im gonna need some new boots before my france trip in september.

My slipstones 020's have 3700 miles on atm so im guessing no more than 1k more and im gonna do 400 this weekend more than likely.
They'll be scrubbed in my the next time you see the bike, so you can ride it and see what you think for yourself.
Old 01-05-11, 05:00 PM   #29
Specialone

Well, I'm gonna need at least a rear a bit sooner than expected, it's heavily squared it off the weekend with a pillion and huge amount of luggage, so new boots are imminent.
I don't know whether to go for the PR2's and play safe ?
Old 01-05-11, 05:45 PM   #30
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Well, I'm gonna need at least a rear a bit sooner than expected, it's heavily squared it off the weekend with a pillion and huge amount of luggage, so new boots are imminent.
I don't know whether to go for the PR2's and play safe ?
I had the same thoughts, but in most places the PR2's were actually a few pounds more expensive.

The only uncertainty I've heard on the PR3's is what the dry grip will be like, and whether they will wear quicker due to the tread pattern. This is only uncertainty because no-one has owned a pair long enough yet.

Dry grip - I've never come across a modern road tyre that didn't grip in the dry, even the awful D220 Dunlops that come OEM on the SV, and the BT020 "slipstones". If anything the tread pattern will help the tyre warm up, and improve grip.

Wear - Michelin claim a 4% increase over the PR2. Even if it's 10 or 20% less, they will still last a lot longer than the BT020's you have on now.

How many miles on your bike now?

I'm paying £230 fitted to loose wheels at a place in Leeds on Tuesday.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 01-05-11 at 05:47 PM.