SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-09-16, 10:48 AM   #1
nathcarr

Default Chain and sprockets upgrade suggestions

Hi guys,
So I have a query for everyone, my bike still has the standard chain and sprockets on its a 2001 curvy, has 9000 miles on clock,

I'm gonna change these while the bike is layed up over the winter ready for the start of the new summer season (not that we get much of a summer haha)

Anyway I'm just after ideas of what people are changing there's too, and if people are making any changes in sprocket sizes, I read up that the AFAM ones which are 1 tooth bigger on back and 1 tooth smaller on front are massively increasing people's acceleration and mid range performance for a slightly lower top end now my sv does 130 now anyway and to be honest I'm not to bothered if it's slower top end just wanted people opinions

Cheers in advance
Nath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-16, 11:10 AM   #2
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Chain and sprockets upgrade suggestions

Not sure what AFAM means. The naked SV ran one tooth larger on the rear if memory serves.

Last edited by admin; 11-09-16 at 11:44 AM.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-16, 11:17 AM   #3
nathcarr

AFAM is just the make of the chain and sprockets like rental and super-sprock ahh right well that explains something then because I have the faired curvy and my pal has a naked and his pulls away quicker maybe down to the sprocket size eh

Old 11-09-16, 11:46 AM   #4
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Not heard of that make, I usually go for DID and usually gold coloured as I like a bit of bling.
Old 11-09-16, 12:19 PM   #5
Swin

Same here, just put DiD gold one on yesterday, going to dig out the clear lube to show off the bling for a bit longer
Swin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-16, 03:15 PM   #6
Highlandsv650

I've got 14/44 on my 05 and 15/44 on an 03 and the 05 is far more fun to drive quick. There's a good 1000rpm difference between them at any given speed which would affect fuel consumption if that's a concern to you but apart from that it's a cheap experiment really.
The 05 still does 125 easily but like you said that's not really an issue, not many places nowadays you can do that and get away with it for long.

Last edited by Highlandsv650; 11-09-16 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-09-16, 03:59 PM   #7
nathcarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlandsv650 View Post
I've got 14/44 on my 05 and 15/44 on an 03 and the 05 is far more fun to drive quick. There's a good 1000rpm difference between them at any given speed which would affect fuel consumption if that's a concern to you but apart from that it's a cheap experiment really.
The 05 still does 125 easily but like you said that's not really an issue, not many places nowadays you can do that and get away with it for long.

Ahh awesome this was the answer I was kinda looking for, I'm looking for the sv to be more punchy out of the corners and accelerate quicker than my mates sv and my other mates aprillia 750 . fuel consumption doesn't really bother me to be honest because it a hell of a lot cheaper to fuel than my car so even with the extra revs it will still
Be cheaper. I phoned my mate before he's a well known bike mechanic in our town and he said standard gearing on my model is 15&44 so he recommended to me maybe going for the same gearing set up as the Gladius, they are 15&46 and with that they have a quicker 0-60 at 3.5 seconds and ther top speed is 123 so I can live with that, like you say it's a cheap experiment for what sprockets cost so even if I don't like it I can always change back.

Thanks for the Info mate this really helps

Old 11-09-16, 04:44 PM   #8
Highlandsv650

That would work out ok, 1 tooth down on the front is worth about 2 1/2 up on the back so the Gladius gearing is much and such the same as I've got on the 05. If you can be bothered then either fitting a stepped woodruff key on the ignition rotor or slotting the pick up mounts to advance the ignition is another cheap route to more fun.
Every little helps.
Old 11-09-16, 11:52 PM   #9
Juju

And in an entirely unconnected manner, you've just explained to me why my unfaired SV fuel usage is a bit disappointing to me. I did wonder why I was getting iro 10% fewer miles out of a tank compared to the faired one, and obviously as well as the added wind resistance, I'm riding everywhere a few revs higher than I used to. Also explains why it doesn't pull very strongly from 80-90, when I had no issues previously cracking 100 on even a fairly short, straight piece of road on my commute to work.
Old 14-09-16, 04:00 AM   #10
Davemurphy007

Fitted a DID naked sprocket and chain set to my curvy. 1 tooth extra on the rear makes a nice difference. Much punchier through the midrange. Highly recommended.

Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle - www.youtube.com/davemurphyengineer
Facebook: DME Vlogs - Twitter: @MrChipMurphy
Davemurphy007 is offline   Reply With Quote