SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-06-18, 09:38 PM   #1
DrKeys

Default Baffled :(

Hello all,

First off, I am new to the forum, so just let me say Hi and thanks for having me

I have searched around a bit to try and make sure my question hasn't already been answered elsewhere, apologies if I am going over old ground here, but -

I bought a Delkevic slip on for my 2017 SV650 a few months ago, and have had no issues at all, very happy with it, but last weekend I tried it with no baffle (it has removable baffle). The noise level is OK to be fair, not noticeably deafening, and as I might have expected, the bike feels a little more torquey too; however, as I was concerned that I may be causing problems by removing the baffle, I e mailed Delkevic direct, and was told there was no issue, the slip on is bike specific and has been performance tested with and without baffle, and I could not possibly damage the engine.

However, and I am sure it is not my imagination, although the engine temp guage does not go up at all, after even a short ride, the engine casing and the oil filter feel red hot, more so than I have noticed before. Is this an indication that all is not well? I am going to replace baffle tomorrow and see how it is then, but I feel sure the casings never used to get SO hot - I just wondered if anyone else had any experience of this, or any words of wisdom? I love riding but I am afraid I am a bit of a duffer when it comes to things mechanical, so I would appreciate any thoughts, cheers
Old 19-06-18, 10:08 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Baffled :(

your engine temps here in the UK should sit about 78-79 while moving and around 78-96 in town. if the temp gauge is reeding low then its the temp sensor needing replaced or the connections looked at. btw if the temp sensor is not working correct the bike will run like a pile of poo.

also when was the last time you checked your oil level, SV's do not like low oil levels and MUST always be above the low mark and never above the high mark while the bike is upright and not on the side stand.

a slip on is fine with or without baffle. Delkevic are talking shizz, they use the same slip on for many many bikes.

Last edited by Bibio; 19-06-18 at 10:09 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-18, 08:23 AM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

What Bibio said - running with or without the dB killer will make no difference to the engine's running temp.

For what it's worth, the engine cases on my bog standard K6 (stock everything apart from an SV1000 intake snorkel) get very hot after any decent run - too hot to touch comfortably with bare fingers until at least 10 minutes after switching off. Not as hot as the standard can though (which gets f*cking hot).

Oil level is always maintained near the F mark and coolant temps constantly cycle between 79 and 87/88C in the summer.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-18, 10:28 AM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I fitted a cheap ChinaProvich Slip-on on my 99.Not noticed anything untoward.I check my Spark plugs colour from time-to-time and they are both a perfect,"Tan" colour so I know the mixture is fine and my mpg and performance have not been affected.

I'll do some engine running temp checks over the next couple of weeks as I have one of these,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-I...AAAOSwhWRaoXoo

I've used them for years as I modded my old Hondas from Mechanical cooling fans to thermostatically controlled Electric fans so these devices are invaluable to me

HTH

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 20-06-18 at 10:33 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-18, 09:17 PM   #5
SVSte

My SV650 AL7 is running hotter but still only goes to 3 bars, it is very warm at the moment but even in winter still went to 3 bars on the temp gauge.
Old 20-06-18, 09:29 PM   #6
DrKeys

Cheers for the replies guys , as I say, I may just be being a little over sensitive about it, I guess I am just afraid of damaging the bike, I should probably just stop worrying about it and just enjoy it.

Thanks for taking th etime to respond anyway, appreciated
Old 20-06-18, 09:33 PM   #7
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

My 1999 Curvy doesn't even have a Temp Gauge

I think my fan came on twice last year when stuck in traffic.The SV cooling system is superb

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 20-06-18 at 09:37 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote