SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-04-06, 07:08 PM   #1
medwaysv

Default Non starter - urgent - preferable before the May day run!

Hi, can anyone help. My 03 pointy won't start! I lifted the tank and took off the air filter and noticed inside the filter housing the 2 top butterfly valves were stuck open in the vertical position. I know when you swtich on the ignition they open and close but after they've done this they get stuck and won't move. This isn't the first time this has happened so if anyone has any suggestions on how this can be fixed or prevented from happening again please help so I can get my bike started so I can get it home from work!!
Old 26-04-06, 09:51 PM   #2
Speedy
Mega Poster

Can you manually close them? Are any mechanical linkages seized?

If they open when ignition switched on,they must have a stepper-motor,or a device to operate the butterflies.

Depending what you find,maybe disconnect linkage/un-plug stepper motor (if has one) see what happens.

I'll have a look at my K5 tomorrow,see how it works!
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-06, 11:10 PM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

As far as I'm aware the throttle butterflies are manually controled, so you should be looking at a physical problem.

Disconnect the throttle cables, check that they move freely and lube if required, check the connecting rode between the two valves on the throttle bodies themselves, check both move togetther, open it all the way and allow to snap shut.

check the throttle stop adjustment screw, connect the top throttle cable only and check the throttle moves both valves, then attach the lower cable and re-check.

the above should hi-light where the problem is and hopefully show an easy resolusion.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-06, 11:36 PM   #4
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

I thought the FI SVs had two sets of butterflys (SDTV Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve)on each throtle body, one controled manualy the other by the ECU. I could be wrong and mixing it up with another model of suzuki.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-06, 12:20 AM   #5
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
I thought the FI SVs had two sets of butterflys (SDTV Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve)on each throtle body, one controled manualy the other by the ECU. I could be wrong and mixing it up with another model of suzuki.
the original post mentions the two top valves these i thought were the manual ones and the second or lower ones are controlled by an actuator, however it could be the other way around in which case, the problem will be either the acuator itself, the throttle position sensor, ECU or wiring.

the throttle position sensor should have a required output range and this can be adjusted by moving it around (should be in the manual section on the home page) with the valve fully close, you'll need a meter to set this.

the actuator can be tested with a direct feed to make sure it works.

if all these test work without a problem being found it only leaves the wiring ( bad connection / crushed wire) check the wire runs and wiggle them about to see if connection is lost, make sure any plug are clean and well protected against water ingress.

If you've done all that to no avail, then you're looking at an ECU problem, this is a sealed unit and you can't do anything with it, you maybe able to get it tested, but in all likelyhood you're looking at a replacement.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 27-04-06, 04:31 PM   #6
Speedy
Mega Poster

Checked mine today,lower butterflies operated manually,tops operated by ECU,via a throttle position motor/actuator on the left side of the front throttle body.
(looking downwards).
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-06, 06:59 PM   #7
medwaysv

cheers for the help gang.got it sorted and heres a tip should anyone else suffer the same problem curtesy of my brother in law
get one elastic band if you aint got a helper to to hold the clutch in
take a bit of thin cardboard and place it over both butterfly valve chambers then put a small hole in the cardboard roughly in the middle of where the chambers are.then press the starter button,it may take a few presses to fire up but this also managed to reset the butterfly valves
hope this may be of use to someone else
Old 28-04-06, 06:28 AM   #8
Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by medwaysv
cheers for the help gang.got it sorted and heres a tip should anyone else suffer the same problem curtesy of my brother in law
take a bit of thin cardboard and place it over both butterfly valve chambers then put a small hole in the cardboard roughly in the middle of where the chambers are.then press the starter button,it may take a few presses to fire up but this also managed to reset the butterfly valves
Thats intersting.
A bit like in the bad old days with cars if you had cr*p in the carb.
I was taught, with the air filter off, to put my hand fully over the intake and spin the engine over. The therory being that the engine vacum created woud pull the blockage out.
Certainly works on lawmowers after the winter break

Tris
Old 28-04-06, 07:07 AM   #9
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris
Quote:
Thats intersting.
A bit like in the bad old days with cars if you had cr*p in the carb.
I was taught, with the air filter off, to put my hand fully over the intake and spin the engine over. The therory being that the engine vacum created woud pull the blockage out.
Certainly works on lawmowers after the winter break

Tris
old trick, however this may have fixed it for now but how did it happen in the first place

Quote:
This isn't the first time this has happened so if anyone has any suggestions on how this can be fixed or prevented from happening again please help so I can get my bike started so I can get it home from work!!
I'd still want to check out the companants to find the weak link myself.

Cheers Mark.
Old 28-04-06, 05:34 PM   #10
medwaysv

this is true but gonna get it looked at soon
seems ok now 'part from running a bit rough