SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Moto GP Goto Moto GP Official Site

Old 03-01-08, 02:25 PM   #1
plowsie

Default Moto GP is it becoming a bit like F1

Not as much enthusiasm for the Moto GP anymore like i used to, only really watched a couple of races.

Read something somewhere about Stoner and how amazing it was that he had won a fair few races this season, and that it was partly down to him been able to open up and let the traction control play its part. Face it, the year before he was hardly anywhere and then he comes and wins the championship. So is Moto GP goin down the electronics route like F1.

Now this is not because I am a Rossi fan and hate to see him lose, cos I like to see good racing and TBH it got rather boring last year.

What others think?
Old 03-01-08, 02:28 PM   #2
stewie

Default Re: Moto GP is it becoming a bit like F1

Quite looking forward to the next season cos Im a JT fan, but I know what you mean about it resembling F1. Lets hope it gets a bit closer competition wise, otherewise stiner could turn into the next scumacher.
Old 03-01-08, 02:31 PM   #3
Alpinestarhero

Yup, quite rightly. It was boring last year; the stoner/ducati/bridgestone package was head and shoulders above the rest. So, the manufactures have had to up their game; honda with a new bike, kawasaki with an uprated bike and The Hopper (hopkins), suzuki with Loris onboard, so renewed enthusiasm. Rossi really up for it since he was beaten again last year, Chris Vermulen becoming stronger and stronger and Melandri onboard the ducati; italian guy in an italian team, with surely the best package out there (in your face honda)

Theres lots to play for, aswell as the prestigious Newcomer Of The Year accolade....come on JT!!!!

Matt
Old 03-01-08, 02:32 PM   #4
plowsie

I wouldnt mind seeing also, something similar to a few other ways of racing. Your track position in first race determines second race start position, ie. win race one, start at back or close to, could do ballast but that may affect bike and cause accidents.
Old 03-01-08, 04:14 PM   #5
zunkus

I read somewhere that they're gonna cut on the electronics so lets hope they do. I think electronics will get a bike to be faster, quicker, more controlable etc., but the human factor is what makes things interesting. I'm noticing this in the bikes we buy as well. You'll enjoy riding the newest Gixxer, Blade, Ninja or R1 for their technology etc but then hop onto an orange simple bike like KTM's SuperMotos and you'll remember why you started riding bikes. Also, if asked what a timeless bike should look like I bet you'd draw a naked one, without radiators, gizmos or fairings. Simple fun. No need for great speed or precise cornering just great fun. I think manufacturers will come to a point where they'll have to get their balance right between technology and simplicity. I think the time has come for lighter, smaller/simpler engined, pure fun bikes.
Old 03-01-08, 05:29 PM   #6
sinbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
I wouldnt mind seeing also, something similar to a few other ways of racing. Your track position in first race determines second race start position, ie. win race one, start at back or close to, could do ballast but that may affect bike and cause accidents.
NononononoNO!

The competition should never be artificially made closer in order to improve the racing, and failure should never be rewarded with greater chances of success. This sort of thing has made touring car racing a bit of a joke over the last few years. The WTCC governing body change the rules and regulations more than you can keep track of. If one car is winning and the mandatory weight penalties aren't enough to slow them down sufficiently, then the others get a leg up. It makes a mockery of the whole thing, and must be an absolute kick in the nuts if you're the engineer that just helped your drivers find that tenth of a second over the opposition.

Moto GP has the perfect format. We can't blame a team for ruining the season by excelling, it's a prototype class, and in that respect - to go back to your question - yes it is a bit like F1. Although I thought the season was pretty good anyway. Catalunya was brilliant. My only criticism is the switch to 800s, I just don't think it was at all necessary, and hasn't made anything any safer at all. The biggest shame is that they're never likely to increase the capacity in the future.
Old 03-01-08, 05:53 PM   #7
Tomcat

yep I agree I think it is getting more like f1. Even with jt joining this year, which will make it a little more interesting, he is not going to blast to the front ... his team/bike is not upto it yet IMO. Before the traction control and advanced technology stoner just kept falling off! He has come along way for sure, but he is no superhero like Rossi
Old 03-01-08, 07:41 PM   #8
therealvw

Not watched many of the races I am afraid, Time zone differences, me being down under. Watched some though. Stoner, well, what is he supposed to do, Ride slower!? It does make it a bit of a REPEAT though when he keeps winning, but to be honest surely there are other good battles further down the field that the TV producer can focus on when Stoner is a little spec in the distance?
F1 wise. Well I think this years season was probably one of the most closest fought for a while? Especially with all the 'hand bags at three paces' between some of the drivers.
Technology. I agree that it can take away some of the skill of trying to put 200 plus BHP onto the ground through a patch of rubber about 5 inch diametre. But then again.... is that what we want to see. Lots of people highsiding? Every time I see someone do that it makes me cringe! Slipper clutches. Such a common thing now, either in WSBK or SBK and also on some Road Bikes. I do miss the snaking back end though of riders around the era of Hislop and early Bayliss. That was exciting to see!
Old 03-01-08, 07:49 PM   #9
Pedrosa

Forget tyres, forget slipper clutches. To make the racing far more exciting they need to bin the engine management/electronics packages. This more than anything has been the biggest detriment in my mind. So much so that people with enormous natural ability like Rossi, Melandri, Capirossi, Elias largely struggled in 2007. I am not in favour of anything that reduces huge talent to being meaningless.
Old 03-01-08, 08:06 PM   #10
therealvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrosa View Post
Forget tyres, forget slipper clutches. To make the racing far more exciting they need to bin the engine management/electronics packages. This more than anything has been the biggest detriment in my mind. So much so that people with enormous natural ability like Rossi, Melandri, Capirossi, Elias largely struggled in 2007. I am not in favour of anything that reduces huge talent to being meaningless.
Did all the bikes have the same type of technology? if they did then it would just even the playing field out wouldn't it? If for instance, Rossi didn't have it and Stoner did then that is a definate UNFAIR advantage to Stoner.
Can someone spread some light on this for me please?