SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-05-07, 09:46 PM   #1
neilfab

Default Photoshop Elements or Paintshop Pro?

Question for the Samnooshka of this world. I would like to get some photo manipulation software for laptop but don't know which of the above I should shell out for. Can't afford full Photoshop although have used it at work, not to its full extent, so do know Photoshop terminology. I just don't know what Elements 5.0 has of version 7.0 or CS3.

Any views would be gratefully received.
Old 24-05-07, 07:28 AM   #2
Amanda M

Default Re: Photoshop Elements or Paintshop Pro?

Elements is great and not very expensive. Like you, I'd used photoshop at work but saw the price of it Hubby bought me Elements 5.0 for my birthday and I've used it loads since.
Old 24-05-07, 07:46 AM   #3
Shinsei Jutsu

Photoshop everytime over psp. I use photoshop every day, and tried psp once as work could get it for free. Never touching that program again!

Photoshop alllllll the way.
Old 24-05-07, 07:54 AM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

I like some of the simple features of PSP. To resize a photo is a 3 or 4 click process. However after aquiring a copy of Photoshop CS, id go with that.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-07, 08:07 AM   #5
stewie

I would go for photoshop as I use photoshop 7 and know its quality stuff, but there is free programme called GIMP which always gets good reviews although I havent used it apparently its excellent.
Old 24-05-07, 08:08 AM   #6
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Another vote for photoshop! I don't know what the difference is with elements. I started using photoshop 4 LE, which was the cut down version of photoshop 4. Seem to remember it being down on a lot of filters + you were limited to 4 layers, but apart from that it was that same. Good thing though is that everything you learn can be applied to the full version.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-07, 08:09 AM   #7
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
I would go for photoshop as I use photoshop 7 and know its quality stuff, but there is free programme called GIMP which always gets good reviews although I havent used it apparently its excellent.
If you are used to photoshop, then you will hate gimp! Similar enough to make you think you know what is going on, but then when you try and do something........
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-07, 08:55 AM   #8
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar View Post
If you are used to photoshop, then you will hate gimp! Similar enough to make you think you know what is going on, but then when you try and do something........
If you're used to Photoshop, it's like trying to ride a bike with the controls messed up, throttle in the left hand, hand brake on the left foot, etc. It works, it may be excellent, but you'll have a hell of a hard time to get it right.
Old 24-05-07, 09:09 AM   #9
neilfab

Looks like Elements 5.0 it is then.

Many thanks for everyones advice.