SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 13-02-11, 12:20 PM   #1
-Ralph-

Default Santander Ferry

I've just booked the Plymouth to Santander ferry for an off road biking trip in August. I'll be riding here http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...9,2.469177&z=9 on my XT600E, then staying there for a week in my friends house and exploring the local lanes with him and his brother, the Serra da Estrela, with perhaps an on overnight trip into Spain to the Sierra de Gredos.

Who has been on the Santander Ferry? What's it like?

I have booked an airline style seat, not a cabin, but on overnight crossings from Roysth (Edinburgh) to Zeebrugge, I used to just sleep on a sofa in the bar, or bed down on the floor somewhere. Did you see people doing this on this ferry? Or do they evict you and make you use your seat?

How about tying down the bike, how was this done? Quite secure and professional and leave it to the stewards ie: chocks and pad and ratchet over the seat? Or is it better to take your own ratchet straps and chocks do it yourself?
Old 13-02-11, 12:27 PM   #2
-Ralph-

Default Re: Santander Ferry

A few pics of a similar trip last year, but only did three days riding on that trip, the rest of the week was spent in the Algarve in the sun.

I had intended to take my XT600 last year, but due to some business problems my friend couldn't commit until May, by which time the airline style seats had all gone, and the cost of a cabin was extortion (£800), so I flew to Lisbon and borrowed this Chinese 125 with off road tyres on it . It was OK actually, it went everywhere I asked it, but I don't think it'd take many weeks of the punishment I gave it. Having said that they get ridden off road all round the far east, whilst carrying a family of five, so maybe we are just too fussy about having the right equipment.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 13-02-11 at 12:29 PM.
Old 13-02-11, 12:30 PM   #3
G
Mega Poster

I have done the portsmouth to st malo... The cabin was about £29 more than the seats, which are horrific by the way.

When I was looking at prices for the Santander ferry a month or so ago I'm sure it was the same scenario, a cabin let's you dump all your gear so you don't have to carry it around too. Are you going on your own? As that the only time a cabin doesn't make sense.
Old 13-02-11, 12:43 PM   #4
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Are you going on your own? As that the only time a cabin doesn't make sense.
Yep, will be travelling on my own. A cabin was £230 quid more. I have paid £322, and a cabin would have been £552. At that price I may as well fly Easyjet and rent a bike.

My friend and his brother are Portuguese (though they live in Mexico and Paris) and spend every August in Portugal visiting their parents. I have known him and his parents since University, about 16 years.

The attraction of taking the XT600 is on an off road trip it's likely to pick up some battle scars, which can cost dear on a rental bike. The dent in this tank in Mexico (binned it and hit the tank on a rock), plus some other bits an pieces of damage cost me £200 quid. On the XT I'd pull the dent out, touch up any paint with Hammerite, and paint in the words "this one happened in Portugal 2011"

Last edited by -Ralph-; 13-02-11 at 12:45 PM.
Old 13-02-11, 12:52 PM   #5
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

leave most of your stuff on the bike as the area is closed off when the boat is moving so peeps cant go down, all the bikes are stored together ususaly, ive seen some peeps change into jeans and leave all their heavy bike kit strapped to the bike, at night it gets very quiet and ive seen peeps sleep wherever they want realy, the airline seat rooms are a bit stuffy with all the peeps in them and for me a little too quiet so you hear the engines
i did the same boat in november last year after i came back from portugal, it was not nice as the sea was sooo rough that at points you felt weightless and being trown about as you were walking around the boat as it was going up and down quickly, urrrrr
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-11, 01:00 PM   #6
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM View Post
leave most of your stuff on the bike as the area is closed off when the boat is moving so peeps cant go down, all the bikes are stored together ususaly, ive seen some peeps change into jeans and leave all their heavy bike kit strapped to the bike, at night it gets very quiet and ive seen peeps sleep wherever they want realy, the airline seat rooms are a bit stuffy with all the peeps in them and for me a little too quiet so you hear the engines
i did the same boat in november last year after i came back from portugal, it was not nice as the sea was sooo rough that at points you felt weightless and being trown about as you were walking around the boat as it was going up and down quickly, urrrrr
Cheers TSM. I can imagine the Bay of Biscay in November could be a bit horrendous, hopefully August will be calmer.

How were the bikes strapped down?

On the way to Ireland last year I left my all stuff on the bike, except sat nav, wallet, passport and phone. When you say peeps can't go down, does that include the staff?
Old 13-02-11, 01:05 PM   #7
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Cheers TSM. I can imagine the Bay of Biscay in November could be a bit horrendous, hopefully August will be calmer.

How were the bikes strapped down?

On the way to Ireland last year I left my all stuff on the bike, except sat nav, wallet, passport and phone. When you say peeps can't go down, does that include the staff?
they put a huge pad over the seat then strap it down to guide wires along the floor, they do this not you, just put the bike where they say which was in the bottom of the ship one level down and had to uturn the bike into a wedge area, leave bike in gear, one bike fell over on our trip but considering the rough waters no wander
staff can go down i guess but normal peeps cant as there were watertight doors that close, i know someone went down when his bike fell over but they called for him
just take the important stuff in a rucksack, leave the rest, last thing you want is to lug stuff around
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-11, 12:25 PM   #8
ryanh1418

We did this ferry a couple of summers ago. As above, left most of the gear on the bike including riding gear and boots - much more comfortable. Left it all to the staff to strap the bike down, very secure. The area is secured but we were able to go down there accompanied by staff to get a couple of bits from panniers. It's a hell of a sight seeing that many bikes crammed into the hold and all riding off together!

The airline seats were sh*te and we all said we'd definitely fork out the extra for a cabin if we did it again - I had the neckache to end all neckaches! I have to say though we managed to have as much a laugh on the ferry crossing as we did throughout the rest of the trip, probably helped by a few beers mind!

We're doing a short ferry to france this year so hopefully comfort won't be an issue!