SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-12-18, 06:28 AM   #401
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: The running thread.

I hope you are feeling better.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-18, 08:37 PM   #402
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
I hope you are feeling better.
Thanks Martin. I do actually, still a bit chesty, but much better.

Made it out for a run in the new shoes this morning. A mix of small lanes and trails, but no Garmin/Strava log I'm afraid. Left the Garmin switched on all week as I forgot to turn it off after I last used it and the battery was flat when I came to put it on this morning.
Started my run by running up to a friends house about a mile and a half away (and almost all uphill!) to let her poultry out as she was away. From there it was back down a parallel lane and then through a favourite piece of woodland and another shortish woodland trail by the river. Back up to the lane leading home from there and returning to the village. About 4.5 miles in all I think.

The shoes were very good. On tarmac (which they're really not designed for) I was aware vaguely through the sole of the pressure from the lugs on the outsole, but it wasn't uncomfortable and really only noticeable when I focussed on it. On a couple of bits of very smooth, shiny tarmac, there was a certain amount of suction from the lugs but a soon as I moved back onto the rougher surface it disappeared. On the trails and in the mud, they were excellent, giving good grip during both forward and lateral movement, and allowing me to push on through slippery conditions with confidence.
While not waterproof, they didn't instantly fill with water when I ran through wet conditions or puddles. They also seem to shrug off the mud somehow, needing only a quick rinse off under the tap when I got home. The foam insoles come out allowing them to be rinsed out separately.
All round, a good, comfortable, and very effective pair off shoes. I'll see how they fare over the winter.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-18, 08:38 PM   #403
shiftin_gear98

Managed to get a cheeky 3.7 mile head torch road run in tonight.
Old 10-12-18, 08:40 PM   #404
shiftin_gear98

Overlapped post! Glad you got out Gary. And that you are happy with your new rubber.
Old 10-12-18, 08:46 PM   #405
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Well done on the late run. I haven't needed to break out the headtorch yet, although if the weather continues mild, I could be tempted. Night runs here are good fun.
Old 12-12-18, 09:50 PM   #406
shiftin_gear98

Got out for a run tonight. This one was a little bit different. I went with the missus to try out Bishops Stortford running club. It was OK. Not sure it's for me. But it might be nice to run with a few people.
5.1 miles seeing the sights of Bishops Stortford.
Old 13-12-18, 10:10 PM   #407
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Ah nice one! I really enjoy social running, I find can make it easier to get out the door! All tarmac though I take it?

I made it out this morning for one of my short runs. Feeling pretty unfit still, with a tight chest. It was bloomin' cold too; base layer top, long sleeves running shirt, windproof running jacket and winter running tights with hat and gloves. The wind was like a knife running over the ally!
Haven't uploaded from my Garmin yet, I'll do it tomorrow.

Got a Powys Canicross social run on Saturday morning, probably 3 or 4 of us and dogs. It'll be a slow one probably as I'm not up to speed again yet, one of the other runners is only just getting going again after a nasty ankle injury earlier this year, and one other runner is just starting out. Should be good fun though. We're going for the fairly flat five mile riverside run between Dolanog and Pont Llogel.
Old 14-12-18, 10:05 AM   #408
shiftin_gear98

Yeah it was tarmac, apparently there is a group that do trail run on the Wed evening. It was nice to run a different route even pounding the pavements.
I'm just not sure as it all looked a little disorganised. Obviously everyone runs at different speeds so people go out with similar timed runners. However they organise themselves via the medium of Faceache.
I hate bloody Faceache, so much so I deleted my account a few months back.
Not sure I want it back in my life.

It did seem like a nice club, £45.00 for the year and that's it. No paying every time you turn up. Unlike the club in Chingford where I used to live where you paid yearly to be a member and £3.00 every time you ran.
Needless to say I didn't join that one.

I like the idea of running with people in the winter as it's just too dark to be hitting the trails on my own heading off into the abyss. And I don't really enjoy tarmac.
However for me running is about freedom and head space. So I'm not sure how much I'd use it in the summer. Who knows I might be wrong maybe for £45.00 it's worth the punt.

Besides I have kind of set myself the challenge of running that Norfolk Coastal Marathon next year if I can get back into it properly.
Old 14-12-18, 06:08 PM   #409
shiftin_gear98

This evenings efforts. 5.8 miles it was cold, dark and gloomy. Even a flurry or two of icey snow/hale.
Old 16-12-18, 08:46 AM   #410
shiftin_gear98

Busy day today 5-6 hours stuck on a motorway delivering presents to family in Southampton - fun, yay.
So I set the alarm for 7am. And just did the Manuden loop. 8.5 miles. I was even up before the sun.

First rays of light by martin cockerell, on Flickr

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 17-12-18 at 11:22 AM.