SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 03-08-07, 04:24 PM   #1
monkey

Default Mallory Park 17th August

Me and the usual mates going up there. Anyone else? Missed one at Donington while on holiday. Gutted. But I was on a big, fat, slow Harley getting Pandaface!

Gonna get me knee down this time, it's a cert. Unless it's raining and then I'll just sit and moan all day.

Old 09-08-07, 02:05 PM   #2
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Mallory Park 17th August

Hopefully, if the weather's okay. Which group are you in? I'm hopfeully getting into the Inters, if not then the Gimps, sprry, novices.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 02:19 PM   #3
Tim in Belgium

Gerrards is the place for knee down teriyakimonkey, you've ample time to try out about 5 different body positions each time you go round it

Have fun, doing Croft on the Monday and can't justify two in one weekend.
Old 09-08-07, 05:59 PM   #4
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
Hopefully, if the weather's okay. Which group are you in? I'm hopfeully getting into the Inters, if not then the Gimps, sprry, novices.
You cheeky, cheeky little git! I'm a gimp?! I'm gonna go really slow and embarass you. Why would yould want to spray the novices? He he he.

What you mean hopefully? Have you got a season ticket and can just turn up? We've always booked ours in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
Gerrards is the place for knee down teriyakimonkey, you've ample time to try out about 5 different body positions each time you go round it

Have fun, doing Croft on the Monday and can't justify two in one weekend.
Cheers Tim. I think you or Weazelz told me that before. Gonna try my hardest. Heard you can put some power down through the turn to lean a bit more which I'll try too.

Old 10-08-07, 09:12 AM   #5
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Nope just gonna check Countryfile on Sunday and see how it looks, then hope there are still some places left.

How come you're in the novices? I would say if you know what a racing line is and aren't too slow then you're fine in the inters. There will always be someone faster than you in any group, but I got cheesed off with the novices pretty quickly cos I was getting held up a lot, and it was sometimes difficult to pass cos I'm not into fairing bashing and many bikes are as fast as the SV on a straight. The trouble in novices is that you have no idea where most of them are going to go so it's difficult passing them on bends. At least in the inters they are predictable (mainly) though much better at getting an IL4 out of a bend!
Old 10-08-07, 10:00 AM   #6
Tim in Belgium

Quote:
.......many bikes are as fast as the SV on a straight......
Almost all are faster I'd say unless there is the odd CB 500, honda bros or super moto out there with you
Old 10-08-07, 12:51 PM   #7
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
Almost all are faster I'd say unless there is the odd CB 500, honda bros or super moto out there with you
il4-400's are quite well matched to the SV down the straight
Old 10-08-07, 12:59 PM   #8
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I meant in terms of speed when they get going, but I'm with Weazelz, the SV can open a few eyes. Managed to overtake my mate's old GSXR600 on a straight last year. On a shortish track like mallory I reckon no-one's really going to get away by being on a big bike, it'll be by riding faster than me.

Tim did you not think about the cam swap?
Old 10-08-07, 01:39 PM   #9
Tim in Belgium

On shorts straights it can be ok, especially as the SVs often have a better exit speed (as we are all great riders ), but there's always a 750 or thou that comes storming passed, which you then have to overtake again, then rinse and repeat So far I've found very few 400s on trackdays with me, not sure why.

I think about the cam swap occassionally, I can't be bothered over the summer as it is bound to take me way longer than planned, but may have a look over the winter at doing it, but I don't want to thow too much money at the SV as I fancy a different/additional bike soon depending on job location/circumsatnces in 10 mths time. There's also the insurance issue etc..
Old 10-08-07, 09:22 PM   #10
monkey

Quote:
Nope just gonna check Countryfile on Sunday and see how it looks, then hope there are still some places left.

How come you're in the novices? I would say if you know what a racing line is and aren't too slow then you're fine in the inters. There will always be someone faster than you in any group, but I got cheesed off with the novices pretty quickly cos I was getting held up a lot, and it was sometimes difficult to pass cos I'm not into fairing bashing and many bikes are as fast as the SV on a straight. The trouble in novices is that you have no idea where most of them are going to go so it's difficult passing them on bends. At least in the inters they are predictable (mainly) though much better at getting an IL4 out of a bend!
What's Countryfile? I'm in the novices cos I'm really really slow. I have managed to catch people up though but not very good at overtaking cos I don't like doing it on the corners. I wouldn't want to stich people up by accident. I've been cut up bad and sent over the grass. There's always some t**t ready to skim past on the straights riding a 1 litre and obviously punching well below their weight. I've never seen a single person black flagged though despite all the spiel at the briefing.