SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-03-07, 09:23 PM   #1
Horton86

Default Potentially too tall SV rider?

I recently took a MSF course and can’t wait to get that first bike. After extensive reading and research I have narrowed the search down to about three bikes. The sv650n is my number one choice by a long shot. I love the versatility, torque of the v-twin and the naked look of the sv. I’m also a poor college student so price is a big factor.
My other choices are the FZ6 (pros; height cons; inline four not v-twin, price) and V-strom650 (pros; height, versatility and the v-twin, cons; price, looks, call me shallow)

The only real problem that is preventing me from fully committing to the sv is that I’m 6’2” (188cm) and worried about being cramped.
I have read a lot of posts about lowering the bike but I could not find any about making the seat/peg/ground length larger. I want to be able to do a little touring (nothing huge) and day rides but it will mainly serve to commute to class and to have a my own piece of mind.

Any advice from taller and normal sized riders would be greatly appreciated. And smaller riders if you want to.
Thanks.
Old 01-03-07, 09:26 PM   #2
kcowgergmm

Default Re: Potentially too tall SV rider?

i am 6ft 3 and i have no problems with it it fits me fine i never thought of it as a problem
Old 01-03-07, 09:26 PM   #3
Cloggsy

The naked SV has lower foot pegs than the SVS, plus 6'2" isn't that big... My boss is 6'10" & he used to ride a CBR600F
Old 01-03-07, 09:33 PM   #4
DoubleD

I'm 6' 3" as well, fits like a glove.... no problems here.
Old 01-03-07, 10:12 PM   #5
Caddy2000

Yep, I'm 6'3" as well and have a pointy SV650S and love it - you should have no problems mate
Old 01-03-07, 10:19 PM   #6
sinbad

6'4" and my S feels fine.
Old 01-03-07, 11:03 PM   #7
lucky strike

Just over 6ft2" and about 15st (pure muscle of course ) and it feels fine for me!

Do you have any friends that have an SV that you can sit on and try? If not, i'm sure any local motorcycle dealers will have one. HTH
Old 02-03-07, 01:20 AM   #8
danf1234

Is everyone on here over 6ft. (Apart from me)
Old 02-03-07, 03:34 AM   #9
rictus01
Mega Poster

Only 5'11" myself, but on a more practical note, just about any of the advice for lowering can be reversed and used to raise the bike.

the handlebars on the naked can be rotated or changed to give greater lift the dog bones can also be changed (raising the rear), and rearsets will alter the footpeg position to where you like.

so not really a problem, although saying that the vstrom is a comfy ride.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-07, 08:12 AM   #10
Sideshow#36

I'm just shy of 6'4 and it is a really comfy bike. Only problem I have is longer distances where I have to stop every hour or so. But after 10 minutes i'm ready and raring to go again.