SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-10-09, 10:34 PM   #1
SV650R

Default What Tyres To Put On? Sticky Tyres.

Hi Guys, I Have A 02 SV650, My Tyres Are Due For Changing Very Soon (On Wear Markers) Ive Been Doing Some Reading On Tyres & Im Confused On What Tyres To Fit Ok Im After A Good Set Of Sticky Sports Style Tyres, That Have A Soft'ish Compound, I Use My Bike Mostly On Dry Days, Only Done The Odd Trackday & Rarely Use My Bike In The Wet But Sometimes Get Caught Out In The Rain Lol, Im Looking For A Set Of Tyres That U'll Do Around 5000 Miles With A Good Sticky Compound For The Road & For Knee Downs On The Odd TrackDays, Can Anyone Help?? Have Been Looking At Michelin Pilot Power's But have Heard There A Hard Compound Tyre, Cant Seem To Find The Right Tyre For Me
Old 18-10-09, 10:43 PM   #2
Woz

Default Re: What Tyres To Put On? Sticky Tyres!!

I have Avon Viper Sports on at the moment. Very sticky and have done over 3500 miles (including a track day) but are almost at the wear markers now.
Old 18-10-09, 11:21 PM   #3
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz View Post
I have Avon Viper Sports on at the moment. Very sticky and have done over 3500 miles (including a track day) but are almost at the wear markers now.
myself also. i'm now onto the new version which is called the VP2, which has a harder compound in the middle for better wear. they're great in the wet too, when temperatures don't get up very high. this is my 2nd front and 3rd rear of this model of tyre. i've been really happy and can't see myself changing.
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-09, 07:50 AM   #4
neio79

would agree with the Viper sports. Was very impressed with them on th ZX6R. especially on track, held the lines and gripped like sh*t to a blanket
Old 19-10-09, 07:52 AM   #5
JamesMio
Mega Poster

I've had a set of Bridgestone BT016's on for a few months, super grippy but I found they give far too much feedback - I can feel every bump or imperfection in the road surface with them.

The rear's just gone after about 2500 miles, and I'm getting a BT021 put on in it's place today. BT016's are superb for a racetrack, but I'll not be getting them again for road use.

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-09, 08:09 AM   #6
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I really like the avon storms, however I've not tried the VP2's.
Has anyone that's used the VP2 tried them after having tried the storms?

Thinking of replacing the storms with storms for the winter wetness then moving onto the vp2 for my next set.
Old 19-10-09, 08:10 AM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650R View Post
That U'll Do Around 5000 Miles With A Good Sticky Compound For The Road & For Knee Downs On The Odd TrackDays
You arent going to find a sports sticky tyre that will give the the tyre life you are after. Just isnt going to happen.

You either get sticky with good grip and short lifespan or less sticky with more life span.

You wont get a tyre that will give both.

Loose your fixation for sticky sports rubber. If you look at a sport touring tyre it will still give you more grip than you can use on the road and you'll get good life out of the tyre. So thats...

Pirelli Diablo Strada
Metzler Z6
Michellin Pilot Road
Bridgestone BT021
Avon Storms

Any of those will do what you want. Plus if you do get caught in the rain they'll work well then as wel.

So IMHO pick one of those that fits your budget.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-09, 08:14 AM   #8
neio79

as an aside i know a few people on my other forum that are really liking the Maxxis sprots rubber. cheap as well. My other half has just had them put on her bike and scrubbed them in arround mallory and loved them in.
Old 19-10-09, 08:15 AM   #9
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
You arent going to find a sports sticky tyre that will give the the tyre life you are after. Just isnt going to happen.
</p>
+1, was thinking the same as I have seen some sports touring tyres not even get to 5000 miles. Depends how spirited you are. FWIW - The Avon Storms for me were good for 6k......not much more though</p>

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-09, 08:22 AM   #10
neio79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Carey View Post
</p>
+1, was thinking the same as I have seen some sports touring tyres not even get to 5000 miles. </p>
Err yeah , i destroyed a rear Dunlop roadsmart in less than 4000 miles at the begining of this year.