SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: Countersteer! Push or Pull ?
Pull 5 10.00%
Push 41 82.00%
What's counter steer ? 4 8.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-05, 05:21 PM   #1
Stig

Default Push or Pull??

I have been wondering this for a while. How do you counter steer With a push or a pull

I pull on the opposite bar.
Old 11-05-05, 05:22 PM   #2
Iansv

wish I knew
Old 11-05-05, 05:22 PM   #3
Flamin_Squirrel

Both
Old 11-05-05, 05:34 PM   #4
SpankyHam

pull
Old 11-05-05, 05:34 PM   #5
Warren

i dont really, i lean and just let the bars guide my hands.
Old 11-05-05, 05:39 PM   #6
jonboy

Push is the only way to do it. I've tried both, tried pushing one, pulling the other (easily get confused and do the wrong way ) but after discussion with Rictus (and he made this very clear ) pushing is the way to go. After my own experimentation I agree with him.

Old 11-05-05, 05:53 PM   #7
BillyC
Mega Poster

Generally push... but if you need to do something quickly... then a bit of pulling is required too!
Old 11-05-05, 05:57 PM   #8
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Push is the only way to do it. I've tried both, tried pushing one, pulling the other (easily get confused and do the wrong way ) but after discussion with Rictus (and he made this very clear ) pushing is the way to go. After my own experimentation I agree with him.

Which is why I put this post up. Tried the pushing on the way home. It feels alien doing it, but did seem somewhat smoother.
Old 11-05-05, 06:12 PM   #9
Carsick

I pull out of habit, but when I remember or really need to get in tightly I push as well.
Old 11-05-05, 06:22 PM   #10
K

Push.

If you find it wierd then don 'try' to do it. Instead, when leaning into a corner shift your upper body slightly towards the inside handle bar - the transferrance of weight will automatically make you countersteer slightly.

It can help to actually drop your outside shoulder slightly too. This is probably a really bad description - but if taking a left-hander = keep your head upright, pull you right shoulder down towards your left hip slightly whilst shifting your left shoulder towards the inside of the corner.
Don't worry about conciously applying pressure on either of the bars - let your weight do it for you.

It's kind of a movement!

Once that feels more natural then you can actually think about applying pressure onto the inside bar - then pushing down on the inside peg too.

One simple reason for pushing rather than pulling - if you need to use your fingers in an emergency for either brake or clutch, with the weight being pushed onto your hand rather then pulling on your fingers it's far easier to free/shift your grip.

Hope that helps, sorry if it just confuses you more. It's one of those things that is far easier to show than explain.