SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 09-12-11, 11:34 PM   #21
-Ralph-

Default Re: GM V Volunteers wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMio View Post
The so-called stigma of it 'not being in the highlands and therefore doesn't really count' nonsense
Highlighted the most pertinent word for you there James. The first one was called the Glencoe Massacre. Nobody ever said subsequent years had to go through Glencoe.
Old 10-12-11, 09:43 AM   #22
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

If this coincides with a trip to Ulapool we're planning, we'll drop by and say hello.

Otherwise, I doubt I'll make it this time around.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 10:38 AM   #23
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Highlighted the most pertinent word for you there James. The first one was called the Glencoe Massacre. Nobody ever said subsequent years had to go through Glencoe.
See, I know this, you know this, as do several others...

After just spending 10 mins looking at Google Maps, I'll commit as far as saying I'm tempted - leave it with me.

(PS - consider this the same as Bib's 'I'm in no way committing to actually doing this yet!)

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-11, 06:01 PM   #24
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
If this coincides with a trip to Ulapool we're planning...(
When you planning that then?
Old 11-12-11, 06:37 PM   #25
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

...errrrr.....sometime next year

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-11, 08:40 PM   #26
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

I'm willing to help if I can. I'm a little busy end of April start of May (and first week in June) but I'm willing to do what I can to help.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 01:51 PM   #27
SIII
Mega Poster

Talking Re: GM V Volunteers wanted

Right - If you guys fancy coming down to D&G for thr GM V this year i have been and spoke to Galloway Activity Centre on the banks of Loch Ken.
http://www.lochken.co.uk/accommodation

They would be more than happy to have us. They have accomodation for up to 56 beds and as much camping as we need. There is a cafe for breakfasts and will open in the evening for meals (last service around 7.00 tho'). The main block is open all evening for toilet/showering facilities. The cafe area is open all night to be used by all as a social area. There is no bar on site or license for the premises, but we are welcome to bring our own.
http://www.lochken.co.uk/waterfront-cafe

Rates

- Lodge / Bunkhouse, has own kitchen, social area, toilets and showers - sleeps upto 20 is £16.50 pppn

- Big Cabin - sleeps 6 also £16.50 pppn

- Small Cabin - sleeps 2 - 4 of these available - £16.50 pppn

- 3 Yurts - sleeps upto 6 but i would think 4/5 would be more comfortable. These are £150 for the 2 nights (£15 pppn if 5 share)

- Tipee - sleeps 4 - £110 for the 2 nights (£15 pppn)

- Camping - £7.50 pppn

If this is a go'er will need to know asap (decide on a date) and get the fixed accomodation booked. Might seem early for some but these places will start to fill up in january (when all the holiday adverts start).

As for the rideout - i am sure between myself, jamesmio & carless we can sort something? We have lots of good quiet roads all the way from Port patrick all the way across to the borders.

This is just a suggestion and i will not be offended if somebody else has a better idea or has plans already in place

Last edited by SIII; 12-12-11 at 01:59 PM.
SIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 02:10 PM   #28
TamSV
Mega Poster

Sounds like a winner SIII. IIRC this was the site that Chucca was looking at.

It would be a nice change of scenery for the GM IMO. As you say plenty of decent roads round there and the southern location might encourage a few more English org'ers to come up and sample the delights of Scotland.

I should be able to help out with rideouts if you want to make sure they're still suitable for the slow and talentless.

If no-one else comes forward, and your willing to do it, then I'd say crack on. Wearing your thickest skin and not putting anything to the vote seems to be the way forward with these things.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 02:11 PM   #29
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIII View Post
loads of really good stuff
There's some great roads over the Galloway forest too, one's that despite 5 years of having a bike and living 100 miles away I never got round to doing on the bike. It was always too tempting to go North instead. Done all those roads plenty times in the car for work though.

I'll bet it's an area even a lot of Scots have never explored.

Up past Loch Doon, back over the A70 to Biggar, down to Moffat, up to Tibbie Shields, over the tiny wee road through Kirkhouse Forest (very picturesque, and mysterious with the river running besides it. Mind the sheep!) to Innerleithen, up to Peebles, back to Biggar, and drop back down the A702 to the campsite via Thornhill.

There is a full day EPIC rideout right there, and I haven't even had to think about it, just a quick glance at Google maps to come up with that. Properly route planned there's great rideout potential.

It's at least full two hours closer than previous GM's for folk coming up from England. I know I wanted to go to the East one year, but the South is looking just as attractive IMO! Just tell me when (no polls please just don't make it the last weekend in April) and I'll be there.
Old 12-12-11, 02:15 PM   #30
-Ralph-

PS: If the Englishers want to see real WILD Scottish countryside, ie: not overrun with tourists, then the West side of the M74 is it.