SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Helmets Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 15-10-06, 07:31 PM   #1
KingOrry

Default Fog City

now that the weather has 'turned' I'd recommend a Fog City to anyone who still uses their bike.
I usually ride my old CG for winter commuting..(I hate beaing stuck in a car even when the weather's sh*tty..) along with Handlebar Muffs these anti-mist visor inserts are an absolute must.
I can put my helmet on while in the house, shut the visor and not open it again til I'm at work..it simply will not mist up.
The only downside is they are a lot softer plastic than the visor so you have to be v.careful when cleaning them..not that they need much cleaning.
I find taking time to ensure a good fit is the key to both a clear view and general logevity.
At about £15 they're an absolute bargain, mine usually last about two years..worn throughout the whole year.
Old 15-10-06, 07:44 PM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Yeah I second that. Got mine a few weeks ago. Easier to fit than I thought it would be.
First time I went out it was misty, and I kept holding my breath and trying to breath "down" like you normally do to avoid the visor getting steamed up. But you can just breath normally, and no matter what you do it refuses to steam up.
It does get slightly blurry at night with cars headlights and streetlights but still a very useful addition
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-06, 08:11 PM   #3
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S
It does get slightly blurry at night with cars headlights and streetlights
Well that doesn't sound very good. I was just about to buy one as well
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-06, 08:27 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S
It does get slightly blurry at night with cars headlights and streetlights
Well that doesn't sound very good. I was just about to buy one as well
Its only a slight blur / ghosting. Its not that much and TBH I think having a clear visor that isnt fogged up when its cold and raining more than offsets the blur / ghosting.

Stu I found that the Pinlock I have on my Shoei now is better in this respect than the Fogcity that I had previously was.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-06, 08:40 PM   #5
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

I have a Shoei, but not pinlock. Was thinking of the Hyper optic.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-06, 08:49 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I just had a clear pro shield, worked really well, but I scratched my clear visor on the outside, so I bought a new clear visor and had the pinlock mounts installed and got a pinlock insert instead. Reason why ?

The proshield glues onto the visor, so once its on its on and you can't remove it, I like the way you can remove the pinlock to clean it.

I havent any experience with the Hyperoptic version of the fogcity though. Seems like a good idea though.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-06, 08:32 AM   #7
Kate

I had a tinted Fog City and the blurring was so bad at night in built up areas, I almost had an accident. I think the clearer ones are better but my experience was so was bad I wouldn't use another Fog City. I found the PinLock is just as effective as Fog City for not fogging up but the blurring is not nearly so bad.

I actually use a Foggy mask, no fogging up and no chance of blurring at night either, and it keeps your nose warm too.
Old 16-10-06, 08:38 AM   #8
thor

Most people agree that the fog city stick on insert results in too much ghosting on Arai helmets. The visors are too concave.
Old 30-10-06, 12:49 AM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

I've never had any ghosting at all with my green Fog City in my Arai... It doesn't fit right, mind, but that's a different story...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-06, 09:44 PM   #10
b1kerb0y

oxford products make there own version of the fogcity (not sure what its called). also its about £5 cheaper and works just as well as the fogcity