SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-07-08, 08:49 AM   #1
TheStudent

Default Suspicious noise when riding, any ideas?

Lately, as in over the last two weeks, I have noticed a noise when riding my bike, it's like an "on off on off on off" brushing noise. It's got a little worse so i'm now quite concerned.

My first thought is a warped brake disk, as the "on off" rate does get quicker with the bike, but to be honest, doesn't sound like it's as quick as the wheel if that makes sense. That made me lean towards the chain, i recently adjusted my chain, there is a possibility it might be a fraction too tight, could this cause it?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks, Tom.
Old 22-07-08, 08:55 AM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: Suspicious noise when riding, any ideas?

My sv used to do that. The CBR does as well a little bit......always assumed its not a big problem.

Worried me it may have been a warped disc, but honda said it wasnt, just friction from the front pads.
Old 22-07-08, 08:56 AM   #3
Bear

If the chain is too tight then adjust it so it isn't. It may or may not be causing your problem but it won't help chain and sprocket wear.

I'd be more inclined to think it's a binding caliper. If you can (get a mate to help)raise the front wheel off the floor and spin it, see if you hear anything then.

If it's warped discs you should feel it pulsing through the lever on hard braking, so I don't think it's that.

Obviously diagnosing a noise I can't hear is difficult, but give it a go. Let us know how you get on!
Old 22-07-08, 08:56 AM   #4
TheStudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
My sv used to do that. The CBR does as well a little bit......always assumed its not a big problem.

Worried me it may have been a warped disc, but honda said it wasnt, just friction from the front pads.
I would have thought this should be constant though, and not wavering?
Old 22-07-08, 08:58 AM   #5
TheStudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
If the chain is too tight then adjust it so it isn't. It may or may not be causing your problem but it won't help chain and sprocket wear.

I'd be more inclined to think it's a binding caliper. If you can (get a mate to help)raise the front wheel off the floor and spin it, see if you hear anything then.

If it's warped discs you should feel it pulsing through the lever on hard braking, so I don't think it's that.

Obviously diagnosing a noise I can't hear is difficult, but give it a go. Let us know how you get on!
I take it I need a front wheel paddock stand for that then?
Old 22-07-08, 09:00 AM   #6
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStudent View Post
I would have thought this should be constant though, and not wavering?
Thats what I thought.

It could be a binding caliper like bear says I guess but I would be suprised if honda hadnt picked that up.

My bike was sat for a long time before I bought it so its possible.

I will watch with interest to see if you sort it then I can lol
Old 22-07-08, 09:01 AM   #7
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStudent View Post
I take it I need a front wheel paddock stand for that then?

no,

put bike on stand pull bike towords you so the front lifts off the floor, then get a mate to spin the wheel.

this is not as hard as it sounds but be carful

or take itto a bike shop (local freindly one) and ask if they can have a quick look

Last edited by hovis; 22-07-08 at 09:07 AM.
Old 24-07-08, 07:04 AM   #8
TheStudent

UPDATE:

Put the bike on the paddock stand last night, first gear, clutch out, the wheel was kind of jigging rather than moving every so many seconds where it was freezing up. Looked at the rear brake disc and there is some scoring in it, so when I get back from a training course next week the back end shall be coming apart!
Old 24-07-08, 07:13 AM   #9
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Good morning.

Your chain would tend to 'snatch' when the engine is in gear on a paddock stand, as there's no load on the transmission.
By the sound of it the noise is most likely to be from one or more of the brake calipers, as suggested.

Cheers.
Old 24-07-08, 10:14 AM   #10
TheStudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner Man View Post
Good morning.

Your chain would tend to 'snatch' when the engine is in gear on a paddock stand, as there's no load on the transmission.
By the sound of it the noise is most likely to be from one or more of the brake calipers, as suggested.

Cheers.
Had it up like this loads of times, it's not the normal type of motion, the wheel is locking up, transmission is yanking it from freeze to freeze. Hopefully i will find something with the rear calliper.