SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-10-08, 05:48 PM   #1
jans1971

Default this was at the great bentley wed night meet, not sure how you ride it and its well fugly

Old 01-10-08, 05:52 PM   #2
Lozzo

Default Re: this was at the great bentley wed night meet, not sure how you ride it and its well fugly

Why on earth do people take a perfectly good motorcycle and do things like that to them?
Old 01-10-08, 05:58 PM   #3
jans1971

Default Re: this was at the great bentley wed night meet, not sure how you ride it and its well fugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
Why on earth do people take a perfectly good motorcycle and do things like that to them?
any ideas where the engine is from
Old 01-10-08, 06:14 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

If memory serves me right, this is the Qasar II, which was designed and built by Malcolm Newell who built the Qasar feet first motorcycle
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...o-the-fut.html

It was built as a one off project for Superbike mag back in the 80's. I think it originally had a GSX750 engine. It was years ahead of it's time, but as you say it ain't too pretty.

The main purpose was to make it go round corners reel good, something that a lot of 80's bikes didn't do very well, which it did because it had hub centre steering, which doesn't dive like conventional forks, so the steering geometry stays the same, which was seenas a good thing then.

But no one was going to get on with those bars!

History lesson over!
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-08, 06:43 PM   #5
jans1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
If memory serves me right, this is the Qasar II, which was designed and built by Malcolm Newell who built the Qasar feet first motorcycle
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...o-the-fut.html

It was built as a one off project for Superbike mag back in the 80's. I think it originally had a GSX750 engine. It was years ahead of it's time, but as you say it ain't too pretty.

The main purpose was to make it go round corners reel good, something that a lot of 80's bikes didn't do very well, which it did because it had hub centre steering, which doesn't dive like conventional forks, so the steering geometry stays the same, which was seenas a good thing then.

But no one was going to get on with those bars!

History lesson over!
cheers mate, do you own a anorak , by any chance
Old 01-10-08, 07:14 PM   #6
gettin2dizzy

And that would be a bicycle speedometer
Old 01-10-08, 07:46 PM   #7
maviczap
Mega Poster

No, I'm just an old gezzer who was around during this time. No, I wasn't here when the ark set sail, but I met the vikings on the beach!

I'll be at Bently next year on my Silver SV, nights are getting to short now, see ya there sometime, if we have a summer next year
Old 02-10-08, 04:16 PM   #8
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Correct.

It's a Quasar, and the engine is GSX1100 Suzuki.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 04:30 PM   #9
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Correct.

It's a Quasar, and the engine is GSX1100 Suzuki.
<anorak on>

It's not a Quasar, it's a Tony Foale Q2, built as a project bike for Superbike Magazine in 1987.

I'm pretty sure that's a late GSX750 lump, as fitted to the ES/EF and pop-up headlight Katana. The GSX1100 always had those rectangular cam end caps regardless of year, which that Quasar doesn't and coudn't have due to the shape of the head. Only some of the early 750 variants had those caps, and all the ES/EF models had the same style head and cam cover as that Quasar pic.

<anorak off>

Last edited by Lozzo; 04-10-08 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-10-08, 08:06 AM   #10
maviczap
Mega Poster

I just read an article in this months Performance Bike about the 'Vyrus'. It's got a Duke St900 lump powering it, although in the article it couldn't keep up with a SV!
Seems like the big 4 have so much money tied up in the suspension manufacturers, is the reason why none of them (except Yamaha) have gone down the hub centre steering route, despite it's many advantages.

The guy behind the Vyrus used to work for Bimota on a similar project, which they gave up on, then bought back into it after he'd done all the work! Looks better covered up I think.

See pictures here

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi.../photo_03.html

Last edited by maviczap; 04-10-08 at 08:12 AM. Reason: insert link to picture