SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 08-11-12, 06:06 PM   #31
Nick_69

I just got a set of metzeler racetec for 90 quid but had minimum 3 mm tread. Bargin If u ask me

Now GSXR 600 K9
Nick_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-12, 06:43 PM   #32
ogden
Mega Poster

Default Re: Trackday idle banter thread.

In the dry I use Maxxis Supermaxx, simply because they're cheap. They're not exactly the stickiest tyre around though, so I'll be sorting out some Michelin Power Cups for the start of next year.

In the wet (and it is Blighty, after all) I've just picked up a set of barely-used Racetec/Diablo rains for 90 quid off ebay. Fed up of wasting sessions on days that start or end wet, and combined with a spare set of wheels they should see me right.
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-12, 09:26 PM   #33
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

they were being bumped, i was going to put a bid in in the last remaining mins (forgot), at 40 mins they were at 48 quid, ended up selling for 46.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 11:03 AM   #34
ogden
Mega Poster

Reading back I see you asked specifically about the Supermaxx Sports. I bought some (new) because they were cheap, only expecting to use them for a day before going back to PR3s for road use. Then I got a new road bike and the thou pretty much lives on track, and the tyres have done another five days since. They're about half worn, wearing evenly (give or take a bias for right-handers), and pretty much refuse to die.

I've found them fine for mid-corner grip, but somewhat lacking when trying to get the power down on the way out. I've had the back-end step out unexpectedly a few times while getting on the gas at corner exit, and they're just not sticky enough for me to really trust them, so I'll be looking for some Michelin Power Cups to use in the dry next year.

If you're using the SV on the track then rear traction is less likely to be an issue, so they'd probably do you fine, certainly for the money.
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 03:04 PM   #35
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

I have them on my sv as they were cheap and I wanted it MOT'ed. Not used it much but they seem good on that, but i was thinking about putting them on the thunderace for the track next year but thinking otherwise if you'be had them slip.

I'll keep my eye out for supercorsa scrubs and if any come up cheap I'll nab them, some are up at 70 and 80 quid

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Old 09-11-12, 06:39 PM   #36
Nick_69

70 or 80 quid is not bad for a set of tires that has only done a handful of laps, you will most likey get 4 or 5 track says out of them

Now GSXR 600 K9
Nick_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-12, 03:23 PM   #37
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

But I'm tighter than a ducks ar5e

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Old 10-11-12, 09:14 PM   #38
metalhead19

I'll be joining this track tyre hunt over the next few months. Currently got the Supercorsa SP (OE fit) but wanting something sticky for next year. I'll probably be sticking to supercorsas as have gotten used to the tyre profile and have never tried the metzelers.....but I'll see what comes up.
Old 10-11-12, 10:30 PM   #39
hardhat_harry

Is SuperMaxx sport Maxxis trackday tyre? Or is there something stickier in their range?
Old 10-11-12, 11:42 PM   #40
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

There's the diamond which is their tourer version (wets tread on edges of tyre) and the supermaxx is the road going sports tyre. The traveling marshals were using them at this years TT.

I'ce not herd of many people using them as trackday tyres but they are sold as "a road tyre with trackday performance" or something along those lines.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis