SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-02-09, 12:30 PM   #1
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default insurance claiming

well as some of you know i broke my bike slightly, having never claimed before i have some questions

im only TPFT on the bike so i cant claim for that but THB its only about 300 quid damage tops, i have gear cover and personal injury cover, both will become very handy as all my gear is ruined and i cant go back to work for 6 weeks, also im not getting payed for those 6 weeks

question is, if i claim on those 2 things what happens to my premium? as i have 2 years no claims do i lose it or dont i as im not claiming for the bike

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-09, 12:35 PM   #2
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Re: insurance claiming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideboy View Post
question is, if i claim on those 2 things what happens to my premium? as i have 2 years no claims do i lose it or dont i as im not claiming for the bike
how many years NCB you lose will be in your paperwork, but with only two i suspect you'll be back to zero after making a claim for any aspect of the policy

phone your insurer though as they need to know asap
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-09, 03:26 PM   #3
Paws

Dont think you'll be able to claim for personal injury as thats usually only if its a PERMANANT injury-eg loss of limb/eyesight etc, that could be worth checking out-i know ours at my work only covers riders for that
Old 28-02-09, 04:32 PM   #4
lily

Gavin why aren't you getting paid, they should at least pay you SSP which isn't great but something!!!!
Old 28-02-09, 04:34 PM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Best answer ring your insurers and ask.
I have a feeling gear cover and pi cover (separates) might not affect your future premiums because they are not vehicle policies. But knowing those slippery *******s it will, or if it doesn't they'll make sure it does. Mock up some future insurance quotes including a claim for the next 3 or 5 years and weigh it all up.
Old 28-02-09, 05:14 PM   #6
MR UKI (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws View Post
Dont think you'll be able to claim for personal injury as thats usually only if its a PERMANANT injury-eg loss of limb/eyesight etc, that could be worth checking out-i know ours at my work only covers riders for that
Assuming the accident was your fault I would agree. I was TPFT when knocked off my 650 a couple of years ago and received compensation for injury (chipped bone in leg, severe abrasion scar) but obviously that was paid for by other parties insurer who was at fault.
Old 28-02-09, 05:21 PM   #7
kwak zzr

WB ive had 2 accidents in the past 3 years and ive claimed twice TBH its a pain in the **** when you have a quote cus u have to keep puttin in the claim details, i went from 9 years bonus to 1 BUT i aint really noticed that much diff on my insurance.
Old 28-02-09, 05:45 PM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

If you claim you will lose your NCB (?about 10% per year)AND your insurance will go up in addition to that because they will add a loading because you have had a blameworthy accident.
Having said that you are obliged to tell them anyway even if you cant claim,because someone else may yet claim against you.You cant remember the accident,and there may have been someone else involved,however marginally who sees a cash cow.EG did you damage a farmers fence when you or your bike left the road?
Old 28-02-09, 06:25 PM   #9
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
WB ive had 2 accidents in the past 3 years and ive claimed twice TBH its a pain in the **** when you have a quote cus u have to keep puttin in the claim details, i went from 9 years bonus to 1 BUT i aint really noticed that much diff on my insurance.
Depends how old wideboy is my insurance premiums have upped by about £1100
Old 28-02-09, 06:38 PM   #10
kwak zzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Depends how old wideboy is my insurance premiums have upped by about £1100

ouch.