SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 27-02-08, 11:56 PM   #1
jim@55

Default vintage or westfield?

no guitars i mean ,iv been offered a westfield lp custom for a good price but iv heard theyr rubbish ,on the other hand ive heard nothing but praise for the vitage(brand )lp anybody offer some advice /comment?
Old 28-02-08, 07:41 AM   #2
blueto

Default Re: vintage or westfield?

HI,
Neither.

save your money. I play in a band and use a bfg. One of the best stripped down guitars money can buy if your on a budget.

Go down your local dealer and try one out. U will not be disspointed!
Old 28-02-08, 08:11 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Nah, that takes you well up to diminishing returns IMO. On a budget? That's no budget guitar, it's about 3 times the RRP of either of these 2. Nice guitars though.

Vintage are way better than Westfield, if it's between those two, I don't think they're as good as they were a couple of years ago but they still make all other budget guitars look pretty rotten. If that's your budget they're a solid choice.

Does it have to be an LP? Someone was selling my old Gibson SG Special on Gumtree last week, still had the Seymour Duncans in it, for £300... I never liked it much but that's a lot of guitar for the money. The Epiphone G400 SGs are really decent value, they're not incredibly good guitars but they're cheap compared to the rest of the quality Epis. Or, the Squier Custom Tele (or is it Tele Custom, or Custom II Tele...) is really quite a nice bit of work at under £200. Or maybe a used PRS SE... They rule the £400 downwards market, very nice indeed.

Signing up to your local Gumtree is a good idea, for guitars, there's a steady flow of decent quality lower-end guitars on there.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-08, 11:36 PM   #4
jim@55

i had a vintage sg andy ,bit top heavy iv tried the lp (no amp)and it sits btr cos the body is heavier than an sg .if funds allowed it would be a gibson no doubt but i really cant justify a 'good'guitar at my level (i.e rubbish)so its a copy im after .by all accounts vintage ones are even btr than the epi ones and a good bit cheaper so its a no brainer.ill prob upgrade the pick ups at some point but just now as standard they should b ok for a bit of bedroom practice
thanks
Old 29-02-08, 01:49 PM   #5
JamesMio
Mega Poster

+1 for the SG's, if you can find one of these in good nick you'll not go far wrong, as NW says - compared to Les Pauls, it's a lot of guitar for not a lot of £££

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-08, 06:35 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

If it's not cheeky, how much is the budget? I'm not all that up to date on what's new and cool but I did a wee google and ebay search and you can get a PRS SE Standard for ?240 off Ebay, buy it now! True, it's the hideous camoflague one, but if they're anything like the SEs were last time I played one then they can compete with guitars costing 3 times as much... Or you can get a pretty one for ?330 new, like the Tremonti (ace) or the Standard Soapbar (never tried that one) There was nothing to compete with that in the market last time I was shopping, don't know if there's any new pretenders though.
Old 29-02-08, 07:06 PM   #7
blueto

i think u shouldent rule out an oldfield also. These are pretty good quick playing guitars. I have a alpine white one which was my first guitar. They still sell at andertons music, and play superb for the money. Go give one a go see what u think.

The best bit of advice tho is just play loads of guitars. Some will suit u some wont. Then POW. you will pick up a guitar that gribs youre fingers into playing over and over and over again. This will be your guitar! Youll know when youll find it.
Old 29-02-08, 07:19 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueto View Post
The best bit of advice tho is just play loads of guitars. Some will suit u some wont. Then POW. you will pick up a guitar that gribs youre fingers into playing over and over and over again. This will be your guitar! Youll know when youll find it.
After I sold my SG, I ended up buying a mate's korean silver-series Squier Tele, which on paper is a massively inferior guitar but which I loved as soon as I picked it up.
Old 29-02-08, 07:32 PM   #9
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueto View Post
POW. you will pick up a guitar that gribs youre fingers into playing over and over and over again. This will be your guitar! Youll know when youll find it.
Wait a minute, you've just copied the bit in Harry Potter And the Philosophers Stone where Harry goes for his first wand and then changed 'wand' for 'guitar'!

Of course, I may need to spend more time grown ups...
Old 01-03-08, 07:32 AM   #10
blueto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger 55 View Post
Wait a minute, you've just copied the bit in Harry Potter And the Philosophers Stone where Harry goes for his first wand and then changed 'wand' for 'guitar'!

Of course, I may need to spend more time grown ups...

im confused? Which harry potters that?