SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-09-20, 05:58 PM   #1871
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
I paid £19 also, seems like a good alternative to the other brands too,
Btw ... what is ms02? Or am I being a bit thick?
Liquimolly additive. Probably worth using on cheap oil.

Oil level is a good shout but if not right on the 'F' line shouldn't be the issue... you did check it upright (off the stand) and on flat ground didn't you?
Old 22-09-20, 06:23 PM   #1872
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Liquimolly additive. Probably worth using on cheap oil.

Oil level is a good shout but if not right on the 'F' line shouldn't be the issue... you did check it upright (off the stand) and on flat ground didn't you?

The Smith n Allen 10w40 semi synth is supposed to be a very good quality oil so I'm not duly worried about that, bike was checked on the flat and level and perfectly upright, oil level is bang on the top (full) mark. As yet I haven't ridden it but will do so soon, then I can see what difference the semi synth oil has made (if any), if there's no noticable improvement I'll experiment with dropping a little oil out so it's just below the top mark and see if the clutch stops dragging.
The bike has only done 12000 miles, 1999. The clutch basket is perfect with zero signs of wear, the push rod is straight and true, the clutch worm has been thoroughly cleaned and regressed, cable is free and lubricated so ... I'm hoping it's an oil type/ level issue as I've read many times that the SV is sensitive to type and level. Here's hoping.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-20, 06:25 PM   #1873
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
I paid £19 also, seems like a good alternative to the other brands too,
Btw ... what is ms02? Or am I being a bit thick?
Molybdenum Di-Sulphide/Molybdenum disulfide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide

https://www.engineersedge.com/lubric...cteristics.htm

Some people like myself believe in it and some don't. I've been using it for over 40 years on older engines. Even oil companies have caught up as some Higher priced/spec engine Oils now contain it.

Contrary to some people's beliefs it does not affect the fibrous Clutch plates and does not cause,"Clutch-Slip".

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/heres-why-l...actually-works

I also use a bit it to make my own Chain lube/oil.
Old 22-09-20, 06:31 PM   #1874
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
The Smith n Allen 10w40 semi synth is supposed to be a very good quality oil so I'm not duly worried about that, bike was checked on the flat and level and perfectly upright, oil level is bang on the top (full) mark. As yet I haven't ridden it but will do so soon, then I can see what difference the semi synth oil has made (if any), if there's no noticable improvement I'll experiment with dropping a little oil out so it's just below the top mark and see if the clutch stops dragging.
The bike has only done 12000 miles, 1999. The clutch basket is perfect with zero signs of wear, the push rod is straight and true, the clutch worm has been thoroughly cleaned and regressed, cable is free and lubricated so ... I'm hoping it's an oil type/ level issue as I've read many times that the SV is sensitive to type and level. Here's hoping.
If that's a cold reading I'd definitely syringe a bit out.

I didn't mean the cheap in a snarky way but I I used putoline which (used to be?) regarded as a cheap oil and it's £24 for 4l - I guessed at £19 smith & allen may have ommitted something. Quality wise , if it's all stamped up it will be quality enough (longevity good to a year at least too) - but the shared engine and clutch oil does need a bit of thinking about - you need the engine to be lube'd and the clutch to be able to grab to some extent.
Old 22-09-20, 06:34 PM   #1875
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I been tinkering.

Full service, new boots (my favourite brand) and a new clutch.

Last edited by Dave20046; 22-09-20 at 06:37 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-20, 06:34 PM   #1876
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Molybdenum Di-Sulphide/Molybdenum disulfide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide

https://www.engineersedge.com/lubric...cteristics.htm

Some people like myself believe in it and some don't. I've been using it for over 40 years on older engines. Even oil companies have caught up as some Higher priced/spec engine Oils now contain it.

Contrary to some people's beliefs it does not affect the fibrous Clutch plates and does not cause,"Clutch-Slip".

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/heres-why-l...actually-works

I also use a bit it to make my own Chain lube/oil.
I have used 2% molyslip or liquimoly in my AL7 for almost 4 years now and no problems, mind you I do use castrol fully synth oil.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-20, 06:43 PM   #1877
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I have used 2% molyslip or liquimoly in my AL7 for almost 4 years now and no problems, mind you I do use castrol fully synth oil.
It's been used for years in Ocean going Liners and Tankers even in,"Dry" form for their drive-shafts/bearings. There are some very expensive Industrial strength versions available which are way over-the-top for domestic use. I always used Moly grease/paste with some more added on my old Honda Shaft-Drives. It kept the splines from wearing
Old 22-09-20, 07:23 PM   #1878
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
If that's a cold reading I'd definitely syringe a bit out.

I didn't mean the cheap in a snarky way but I I used putoline which (used to be?) regarded as a cheap oil and it's £24 for 4l - I guessed at £19 smith & allen may have ommitted something. Quality wise , if it's all stamped up it will be quality enough (longevity good to a year at least too) - but the shared engine and clutch oil does need a bit of thinking about - you need the engine to be lube'd and the clutch to be able to grab to some extent.
Certainly no offence taken, only reason for choosing the Smith n Allen was that I wanted to go back to semi synth as opposed to the fully I was using to see if it cured the clutch drag and also the Smith n Allen oil exceeds all requirements needed for this engine, the price was just a bonus.
I probably will drop a little bit out if the clutch still drags and fingers crossed ... it may return to as it was before the oil changes.
Old 22-09-20, 07:25 PM   #1879
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Certainly no offence taken, only reason for choosing the Smith n Allen was that I wanted to go back to semi synth as opposed to the fully I was using to see if it cured the clutch drag and also the Smith n Allen oil exceeds all requirements needed for this engine, the price was just a bonus.
I probably will drop a little bit out if the clutch still drags and fingers crossed ... it may return to as it was before the oil changes.
Have you checked out my Clutch-Lifter page?

https://cx500.000webhostapp.com/SV650ClutchLifter.html
Old 22-09-20, 08:01 PM   #1880
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Have you checked out my Clutch-Lifter page?

https://cx500.000webhostapp.com/SV650ClutchLifter.html
Yes I researched it a while back and found your guide when doing the clean, regrease and adjustment, followed it to the letter and tbh ... it only helped a little. All the clutch associated parts are all in excellent order, no discernable wear and all correctly fitted and lined, I'm really leaning toward the oil level and maybe type as possibly the culprit as the grab only started when I changed the oil.