SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-07-07, 10:23 PM   #11
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: Indicators flashing too fast...

One way to rectify the 21W to 10W conversion is to put a 12 ohm resistor in parallel with the bulb
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-07, 09:38 PM   #12
Gnome

Sorted.

Was looking for bulbs, and decided to pop along to the local Suzi dealer.

They had the usual LED ones, but they've got a simplified version now available for £2.50, for mini indicators problems like mine (flashing too fast, due to non-standard wattage bulbs).

Had to change the connectors (as it uses bullet connectors, and all I had were spade connectors), but fitted it, and now all is working gravy!!!

Top stuff.
Old 08-02-18, 02:11 PM   #13
stinkerbill

Resurrecting an old thread, but any idea what bulbs they were? I've just bought some non-LED indicators and am having the same fast-flashing issue
stinkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 09:46 AM   #14
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The relay is thermal and relies on the correct current going through it (2 x 21 watt bulbs = about 3.5 amps) to flash at correct speed - normally when you lose a bulb the lights flash faster due to reduced current (now only 1 x 21watt in circuit) this is actually a positive feature as it alerts you to a problem. if you want to mess around with wattage of bulbs and still have correct flashing rate you can buy electronic relays which are independent of load current (can be used with LED and bulbs).

http://www.alchemyparts.co.uk/univer...flasher-relay/

You can keep thermal relay if you put a resistor in parallel with bulb to draw extra current.

http://www.alchemyparts.co.uk/univer...uad-trike-car/

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 09-02-18 at 09:50 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-18, 11:00 AM   #15
stinkerbill

Bought a new relay for about £8 off eBay and it's all sorted!

Then I realised my new 'aluminium body' indicators were all flashing at the same time - worked out it was because they were earthed as I'd made up metal brackets and attached then to the radiator housing! Unmounted them, letting them hang loose to test and they're all working again

Rubber grommets on the way to insulate the mounting holes!
Old 14-02-18, 01:27 PM   #16
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkerbill View Post
Bought a new relay for about £8 off eBay and it's all sorted!

Then I realised my new 'aluminium body' indicators were all flashing at the same time - worked out it was because they were earthed as I'd made up metal brackets and attached then to the radiator housing! Unmounted them, letting them hang loose to test and they're all working again

Rubber grommets on the way to insulate the mounting holes!
your problem could be that the relay you got needs 2 pins bridged (do a google search) and has nothing to do with the main bike negative (frame). this problem has come up before. either that you have wired indicators the wrong way. IIR the green loom wire is right hand + and the black loom wire without trace is the left hand +, black with stripe is negative.

if you wire a negative to the opposite it will act like a positive when the indicator switch is rocked from one position to the other.

there is no ''earth'' or ''ground'' on vehicle electrics. it has ''flow'' (positive) and ''return'' (negative) and each one is live when a circuit is engaged, this includes your bike frame.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-18, 02:29 PM   #17
stinkerbill

So I've spent the last couple of hours making up some washers from some offcuts of neoprene and insulating the indicator stems with electrical tape

All indicators now work just fine...

But you are right... I've just found a wiring diagram and all 4 were wired incorrectly (+ to - and visa versa)

When I get more time I'll try mounting the indicators without insulation/rubber washers and see if they still work correctly.

Might have just wasted 2 hours needlessly! Oh well... every day's a school day!
Old 14-02-18, 06:50 PM   #18
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Yeah having 12v on your indicator housing is not ideal! Even if they are insulated from the frame
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote